All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Mother And Child Rescued From Death Valley Trail In Extreme Heat Conditions
August 05, 2015 01:05PM
On the afternoon of Monday, August 3rd, rangers received a report that a mother and son were experiencing severe heat exhaustion on the Golden Canyon Trail, a popular hiking route in Death Valley.

The father, now at the Furnace Creek Visitor Center, left his family on the trail and sought help when his wife and son were too exhausted to continue. Rangers responded to the visitor center and learned that the eight-year-old child and 49-year-old mother had just a half liter of water between them when the father left them an hour previously. The father also said that his wife and son had been vomiting and had been on the trail since 9 a.m. The air temperature at the time was 120 F.

Rangers immediately responded and began hiking the trail, carrying copious amounts of water and medical supplies. After roughly thirty minutes of searching, the rangers located the mother and son, who were lying face down in the shade of a cliff face. Both were responsive but were completely out of water.

Rangers administered care to both mother and son, who were stable and denied throwing up. Once they had been cooled, the rangers assisted them in walking out of the canyon. When they arrived at the ambulance, staged at the entrance to the canyon, the mother declined any further medical care for her and her son.
Re: Mother And Child Rescued From Death Valley Trail In Extreme Heat Conditions
August 06, 2015 07:45AM
Sounds like they were fortunate. Short summer hikes down in the valley need to be over by 9am or earlier, not started at that time. Or better off, not done at all. I can't believe they were trying to hike in 120.
August 06, 2015 12:39PM
Very fortunate indeed. After hiking in a 105 degree mid morning in Goblin State Park in Utah, with plenty of water and still thinking I was not going to make it back to the car, I can't imagine trying to hike when it was 120. I thought I was going to dry up like a raisin and blow away. After my experience, I know that I can't tolerate hiking in heat so no more summer desert hiking for me unless I am done way before it hits 90.
avatar Re: Mother And Child Rescued From Death Valley Trail In Extreme Heat Conditions
August 06, 2015 12:50PM
parklover

After my experience, I know that I can't tolerate hiking in heat so no more summer desert hiking for me unless I am done way before it hits 90.

Sane people hike the deserts in winter (or at the very most, late fall to early spring). smiling smiley

August 07, 2015 03:05PM
We decided if we ever go back it will be in the winter. My husband would like pictures of snow on the Goblins. We never did well in heat as it is and now after three trips to Utah parks in the summer and getting over heated, we now have even less tolerance. Truthfully, we start struggling when it is in the low 80's now and by the time it hits 90 we are toast.
avatar Re: Mother And Child Rescued From Death Valley Trail In Extreme Heat Conditions
August 06, 2015 05:34PM
There are deaths almost every year involving hikers who thought they could handle the heat. That includes people who did bring copious amounts of water.

I remember passing through one summer. I don't think I walked more than 200 feet at a time, and when I did I tried to keep it short and back to A/C as soon as possible. I was talking to a ranger at the Furnace Creek Visitor Center about people who insist on hiking, and was told that they simply don't recommend hiking at all during the summer. I've also been there during the winter, and it's actually pretty nice.
August 06, 2015 05:42PM
y_p_w,

The only standard accepted hikes in DV in the summer are Wildrose Peak and Telescope Peak. I've done a few other high elevation summer peak hikes there, but these days I stay away because it's just not enjoyable to hike in 90F+ heat all day.
August 06, 2015 05:35PM
Hey parklover,

As it turns out I'm going to be hiking in Goblin in a couple days with a forecast of the low 90s. Planning to start early and hopefully be out of there by 11 or 12:noon. Can't imagine trying to hike those slot canyons in 105 but at least there is some shade in there.
August 07, 2015 02:58PM
SteveHall
Hey parklover,

As it turns out I'm going to be hiking in Goblin in a couple days with a forecast of the low 90s. Planning to start early and hopefully be out of there by 11 or 12:noon. Can't imagine trying to hike those slot canyons in 105 but at least there is some shade in there.

We were on our way to Rocky Mt NP and just stopped at Goblin for a quick look because a friend said it was really interesting. This was in 2006 and I can't remember exactly where we went but it was near the entrance and had a picnic area that overlooked the hoodoos. We didn't have much time but decided to take a short hike around the hoodoos and I barely lasted 45 minutes and went back to the car. My son and husband showed up at the car about 30 minutes later. Have fun.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login