All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Mother Jones: One-Star Yelp Reviews of National Parks
August 26, 2015 01:23AM
From Mother Jones Magazine:
“National parks are great.

But not everyone agrees. Yelp is filled with one- and two-star reviews of America's most pristine and majestic natural wonders. And honestly, they're riveting.”

YOSEMITE:

GRAND CANYON:

YELLOWSTONE:

The rest of the article including many more one-star Yelp reviews can be found here:

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2015/08/i-cant-stop-reading-these-one-star-yelp-reviews-national-parks

Re: Mother Jones: One-Star Yelp Reviews of National Parks
August 26, 2015 08:09AM
Unfortunately, after 21 seasons as a volunteer, the yelp review on Yosemite was right. People want 'their' park to always be available but busy weekends, mid summer, holidays overwhelm the system. The issues are continually being worked on but for the most part it is a matter of supply and demand and parking in Yosemite is way beneath the demand.
August 26, 2015 09:41AM
That Mother Jones - she can be cranky at times.

My two favorite places to be are my own woodshop and Yosemite.
And.....the plane leaves tomorrow.
August 26, 2015 12:29PM
Yes parking is an issue in Yosemite during the summer and the holidays especially during the weekends. However if you get to the park in the early morning, you can find a parking spot. We have been there several times this summer both during the week and the weekends and at different times of the day and noticed that the new day use parking lot next to Yosemite Lodge was never full. I don't think that people are really aware yet that it is there. Maybe we have just been lucky finding parking. We have gone along Tioga Rd also and found finding parking especially around Tenaya Lake to be really challenging this year.
avatar Re: Mother Jones: One-Star Yelp Reviews of National Parks
August 26, 2015 01:58PM
parklover
Yes parking is an issue in Yosemite during the summer and the holidays especially during the weekends. However if you get to the park in the early morning, you can find a parking spot. We have been there several times this summer both during the week and the weekends and at different times of the day and noticed that the new day use parking lot next to Yosemite Lodge was never full. I don't think that people are really aware yet that it is there. Maybe we have just been lucky finding parking. We have gone along Tioga Rd also and found finding parking especially around Tenaya Lake to be really challenging this year.

Hint for hassle-free parking during high-demand periods in Yosemite Valley: use the valet parking at the Ahwahnee. There's always space available. Just remember to tip the valet when you come back to pick up your car.

August 26, 2015 04:24PM
Thanks for the hint. We usually avoid the valley during the busy times unless we drive in before 9 am and leave just after noon. That has worked for us. I will keep your suggestion in mind just in case we decided to go later in the day.
August 26, 2015 12:32PM
Very entertaining, thanks for posting. With some of them, it appears that people didn't do their "homework" before they left to find out what that park was like.
August 27, 2015 11:00AM
A recent note left at the front desk of a Yellowstone lodging establishment (inside the park):

Undoubtedly, another one-star Yelp review for Yellowstone will be posted soon.

Bear Head
August 27, 2015 11:16AM
They should have just done a REALLY expensive trip and went to Brooks Falls. And the grizzlies at Brooks Falls are trained not to eat people...
August 27, 2015 01:17PM
True, but they do cause (trail) traffic jams.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login