All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar What Happens to Problem Bears That Go to Rehab?
September 10, 2015 11:58AM
A remote facility in British Columbia, Canada, is giving orphans and bears with troubled histories a second chance at life in the wild.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/09/150910-bears-animals-science-grizzly-nation/
Re: What Happens to Problem Bears That Go to Rehab?
September 10, 2015 01:27PM
I'm skeptical that this is a workable or even worthwhile solution. The article notes that the successful "Rehab" Center only releases bears where "natural staples are abundant" and in "remote places where they likely won't see a person for a while". This eliminates anywhere in the Lower 48 and I don't think Alaska works either.

The most recent Alaskan example is the family of 5 bears that lived "in the city" of Anchorage and became a problem after a second year of getting into garbage. It was Alaska Fish and Game policy to destroy the bears but the Governor of Alaska pardoned them after a public outcry. So the five were transported to a "remote" place and subsequently begin terrorizing the nearest town. They were ultimately shot just as the wildlife experts here predicted would happen before the State wasted a bunch of time and money.

I suppose with a different set of circumstances and proper "rehab" an outcome might be different but the article rightfully points out at what cost? Alaska has no shortage of bears so the population certainly isn't dwindling here and most places in the lower 48 probably can't sustain that much of a higher population.
avatar Re: What Happens to Problem Bears That Go to Rehab?
September 10, 2015 03:43PM
They ought to give this facility a catchier name. They should call it the "Yogi Bear Clinic". wink
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login