Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (83% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Is canyoneering worth it?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Is canyoneering worth it?
June 05, 2016 07:48PM
I know this is more a trip advisor like question, but I have a sense of folks here. We'll have 4-6 nights next week in Grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce 1 to 2 nights in each park. I am trying to decide if I should hire an outfitter around Zion for a day of canyoneering. My husband won't join us, but my kids and I can do it. Part of me thinks it will be fun for the kids, but then I think, this is the first time we've been there, there is probably so much to see just walking and hiking around, that we don't need this extra activity.

Have you done it?
June 05, 2016 10:11PM
My knee is too bad to do any repelling so I have not done any canyoneering in Zion so I can't give you any info on that specifically. However having gone to Bryce, Zion and CG several times, with one to two nights in each park you are going to have to rush to see things as it is. Canyoneering will take up a lot of your time and will limit seeing other things in Zion. You also didn't mention the age of your kids so are they old enough to learn to rappel? If you want to experience going up a canyon you could always do part of The Narrows in Zion starting at the end of Riverside Walk and you don't need a guide to do that.
June 06, 2016 07:09AM
My kids are 12 and 14, so they could do it. Thanks for the advice.
June 06, 2016 02:01PM
I have spent more than 30 days visiting Zion and I have never hired a guide to go canyoneering. If this is your first visit, I would skip it. You will waste a whole day and miss a lot of the great things about the park. Hike up the Virgin river to the Narrows and back, visit the weeping wall, hike to the top of Angel's landing, hike to the Emerald Pools, hike to Canyon Overlook, that's my short list of must do hikes. That will take up your two days easily and give you a nice over view of the park.
June 07, 2016 04:17AM
I loved canyoneering in Zion with the Zion Adventure Company. However, it took me 6 visits to Zion before I tried it. As the others have said, I believe it would be better to check out the other sites first before considering canyoonering like Kolob canyon, Echo canyon,or Hidden canyon. The last 2 have a bit of elevation gain. If that's not your thing, you can check out the emerald pools which is a nice hike but can be crowded. Don't forget the narrows! I usually go in winter so its pretty empty. But in summer...boy can the main canyon fill up!

-Kevin
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login