Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (82% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Vernal Falls accident

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Vernal Falls accident
August 01, 2005 11:05AM
avatar Re: Vernal Falls accident
August 01, 2005 01:21PM
A man climbed over the railing and met Darwin. The indicdent to mentioned in this story:

http://www.fresnobee.com/local/story/11009226p-11771039c.html

Re: Vernal Falls accident
September 16, 2005 12:33PM
Wow! I read the Fresno newspaper link. I already knew about the Vernal Fall incident this year, but what surprised me was that the body of a man that went over the Fall 5 years ago was never found!
avatar Re: Vernal Falls accident
August 03, 2005 12:02PM
Yosemite National Park News Release

August 1, 2005
For Immediate Release

24-Year-Old Hiker Dies After Falling Over Vernal Fall

A 24-year-old hiker died Saturday in Yosemite National Park after falling over Vernal Fall. Chintan Chokshi, a San Francisco area resident, crossed the safety barrier at the top of the Fall to cool off after hiking, lost his footing, and was witnessed being swept over the fall. Rangers were called to the scene at approximately 11:15 am. Searchers will continue to look for Chokshi's body on foot and by helicopter through today.

Chokshi was hiking with friends on the popular Mist Trail in Yosemite National Park.

Signs at the bridge near Vernal Fall use strong language and international symbols to warn hikers of the dangers of entering the water in that area. High water levels, wet rocks, and strong currents make the area extremely dangerous. Swimming is not permitted in Emerald Pool or in river areas along the Mist Trail.

-NPS-

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login