Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Yosemite bears

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 08, 2009 12:03PM

i was reading about black bears on the internet, and learned that in general, black bears can live 32 years in the wild, BUT... the average life of a black bear in Yosemite 18 yrs (due to car accidents, and having to be put down for aggression towards human food). that's a real shame!

also, black bears are not classified as true hibernators.. they feed mostly at night.... Manzanita berries & acorns are some favorites in Yosemite.

Post Edited (04-08-09 12:04)

Like I always say, "if you can't laugh at yourself, let me do it".

My Yosemite Blog: http://yosemiteforrest.blogspot.com/
Re: Yosemite bears
April 08, 2009 08:22PM
I see the bear box door open there. Wonder if someone left it open ("I was just going over to the table"winking smiley or if he broke in.

A year or so ago when they put in the new bear boxes, some had learned to crash into the doors, and if they weren't fully latched, they'd come open. I remember wondering what that banging was starting about 3AM, and the campground host told me it was the bears crashing into the boxes.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
April 08, 2009 08:29PM
Does wild bear meat taste better than Yosemite garbage feeding "wild" bear meat?
April 08, 2009 08:46PM
Vince: >Does wild bear meat taste better than Yosemite garbage feeding "wild" bear meat?<

Gross!

B
April 08, 2009 08:48PM
My prior post on that was bait for this link:

http://www.indiancountrytoday.com/yourict/42583332.html
April 08, 2009 10:06PM
I thought another problem was that scoring human food often meant poor dental health from a lot of sugary/starchy snacks. They don't exactly brush their teeth do they? Once they start losing their teeth they'll have a hard time eating anything.

The joke that Ranger Shelton Johnson told was that the NPS can't exactly provide them veterinary dentists, can they?

I've heard that black bears living off of salmon (such as in Alaska) tend to be much larger than those that might only have trout as their main source of protein/fat.

April 09, 2009 01:39PM
April 14, 2009 03:02PM
April 14, 2009 05:34PM
Comfort Station??
April 14, 2009 05:36PM
Bee
Comfort Station??

Bearly.
April 14, 2009 10:04PM
eeek;

i kid you not, i was only 8 stalls away from this one! winking smiley
April 15, 2009 02:28AM
forrestranger
eeek;

i kid you not, i was only 8 stalls away from this one! winking smiley

UH-oh....this thread is starting to get a bit smellyeye rolling smiley

B
April 15, 2009 07:25AM
no Bee, i was "standing". lol
April 14, 2009 04:58PM
forrestranger
also, black bears are not classified as true hibernators..

While on my hike to Upper Yosemite Fall last December (January?) there was a bear on the trail. (I didn't see it myself, but about 10 other people did).

That night the joker that was doing the program (not a ranger) said that bears hibernate, and Yosemite visitors were likely asked to maintain bear food habits just to keep people "used to doing it". eye rolling smiley
April 14, 2009 06:14PM
sierranomad
forrestranger
also, black bears are not classified as true hibernators..

While on my hike to Upper Yosemite Fall last December (January?) there was a bear on the trail. (I didn't see it myself, but about 10 other people did).

That night the joker that was doing the program (not a ranger) said that bears hibernate, and Yosemite visitors were likely asked to maintain bear food habits just to keep people "used to doing it". eye rolling smiley

I've seen bear tracks in February in the snow. Bear breakins are lower, but I've seen bear activity reports in dead winter.

They don't even go into a true hibernation. They going into a deep sleep and often wake up from it. I've heard of some that woke up and found themselves hungry enough to try to scare visitors into dropping their food. They'll often wake up to take a leak. If it's not cold enough they might not even go into that deep sleep. Some black bears are found in places without true winters and are active year round.
April 14, 2009 06:23PM
>They'll often wake up to take a leak.

Me too. Although this one time in my tent...

(ok, I just couldn't resist).. (I mean, we've seen these pictures before too! smiling smiley )
April 15, 2009 07:28AM
Bill;
but can the bears pee in a jar????? eye rolling smiley
April 15, 2009 09:05AM
forrestranger
Bill;
but can the bears pee in a jar????? eye rolling smiley

Straight over to the "Comfort Station" thread!!! (and take bill-e-g with you)angry smiley

B
April 15, 2009 09:18AM
Whoa whoa whoa QB!

Eeek started us on the slipperly slope.. What did you expect?smiling bouncing smiley
April 15, 2009 09:24AM
bill-e-g
Whoa whoa whoa QB!

Eeek started us on the slipperly slope.. What did you expect?smiling bouncing smiley

By all means take him with you!!! angry smiley

(even the bears are being corrupted!)eye rolling smiley

QB
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login