Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (76% of Full)

JanSport - Accept no Imitations. The Original Backpack since 1967.

Advanced

Re: Decisions Decisions

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Decisions Decisions
April 10, 2009 11:31AM
I'm trying to decide which hike to do this weekend (probably Sunday): Hite's Cove trail or the Sierra Point adventure.

Has anyone done the Hite's Cove trail recently? Are the wildflowers still plentiful?
April 10, 2009 06:23PM
Looks like the sickos want to talk poo and not answer.
I'll give it a go:
smiling smiley

Any way you can do BOTH??

I must admit.... I was a zonking out of the park so I didn't look last
weekend...

BUT..

If you are in decent shape you should be able to knock off the Sierra Pt.
trail in a couple hours.

Hite's Cove.. never been to but looks pretty simple if you stay on the
river...

Have fun!
April 10, 2009 08:12PM
You might be able to tell how the Hite cove trail is pretty quickly at the start...if it doesn't look like it's working out, just turn back and head on into the valley. If the trail looks like this:

keep going; if the poppies are gone, there are still others that come afterward. That was March 27 of last year, so not much help other than to estimate what two weeks later would look like. It's been a cool week, so maybe some of the flowers held up better.

I had planned to do that hike for this week, but had to cancel my trip...first time I've missed a March or April visit to the valley in years..8^( If you do it, let us know what I missed 8^).

One thing about Sierra Point is that it's best this time of year, with all the falls flowing, so if you haven't been there, the timing is optimum.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
April 14, 2009 05:24PM
Thanks for the feedback.

We ended up on the Hite Cove trail. There are still many flowers. The selection seems to vary as the season goes along. It looks very similar to your photo, Gary.

For those who have not taken it, the trail follows the south fork of the Merced River. It's well above the river, so don't lose your balance. That would be bad. It's an out-and-back trail, not a loop.

Since it's outside YNP, some hikers bring their dogs. The trail is narrow, so taking more than one per person would not work. We left ours at home with a dog sitter.

If you were on the trail on Sunday, my hiking buddy was the guy with waaay too much camera gear. His website is http://www.activelightphotography.com/. No doubt he'll be posting his photos there soon.

One of these days, maybe I'll have a website, too.

We'll be saving Sierra Point for a future hike. Looking forward to that!
April 18, 2009 06:51PM
On the issue of access to Hite's Cove:
Is there a road to the cove or are those private/fire roads?
See map:
http://www.yosemitehikes.com/not-yosemite/hite-cove/trail-map.htm

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
April 20, 2009 02:18PM
Not sure. I think those are private roads. The Incline road (along hwy 140) seems to be a private road.

As you hike the trail, there is a large house across the river. They definitely have access, but I only saw one house, as far as I went.

Given that the roads have names...doesn't sound like a forest service road to me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login