Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

Re: More Deaths than Normal in Yosemite?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

More Deaths than Normal in Yosemite?
September 30, 2005 09:51AM
Greetings:
I've been amazed at the number of deaths I've heard about in Yosemite this year. Haven't kept record of them all, but a few come to mind: one went over Vernal, another over Yosemite. Another near Lembert Dome, also off Half Dome. And I believe at least two backpackers. Maybe more.
This is the first time I've really kept up on what was happening in Yosemite. Is this a typical year?

Jon Shannon
www.YosemiteTrailsDVD.com
avatar Re: More Deaths than Normal in Yosemite?
September 30, 2005 01:27PM
There are several deaths every year. I haven't looked up the statistics but I don't think this year is unusual.

October 10, 2005 11:26AM
There have been more deaths this year than usual. I don't believe there has been any recorded year in which deaths were associated with all 3 Falls -- 1 person over Yosemite Falls , 1 over Vernal Falls, and 1 rock-hopping in the river above Nevada Falls. And as you mention there were the other hiking deaths as well. Michael Ficery is still missing.
August 12, 2009 07:40PM
bgf
There have been more deaths this year than usual. I don't believe there has been any recorded year in which deaths were associated with all 3 Falls -- 1 person over Yosemite Falls , 1 over Vernal Falls, and 1 rock-hopping in the river above Nevada Falls. And as you mention there were the other hiking deaths as well. Michael Ficery is still missing.

Anybody have some actual data?
August 12, 2009 07:47PM
Haven't found a year-by-year summary yet. But I did find this: In 1994 there were 17 deaths and 231 searches and rescues. In 1995, 18 visitors died and 188 searches and rescues were performed.
August 12, 2009 08:04PM
eeek
Haven't found a year-by-year summary yet. But I did find this: In 1994 there were 17 deaths and 231 searches and rescues. In 1995, 18 visitors died and 188 searches and rescues were performed.

There's a book out called "Death in Yosemite" which has some pretty accurate statistics,. Don't know how up to date it is but it is within the last few years.
August 12, 2009 07:57PM
I dunno, there's also the guy who fell near tokopah falls in Sequoia, and the gal lost near Wishon Reservoir after walking out of camp... not exclusive to Yosemite.
August 12, 2009 08:28PM
There have been a horrible number of hurricanes killing people along the gulf coast, too.

It's all random, folks. You just know a little more than you used to (which doesn't change the stats)
August 13, 2009 02:02AM
There was man who died of a heart attack in the TM campground 7-30-09.
August 13, 2009 01:39PM
Yosemite Falls: are you referring to the kids taking a shortcut near Columbia Rock this past winter, or was there another?

I didn't hear about the Vernal or Nevada Falls incidents from this year. Any links to these stories?

---------------------

Nevermind - just realized this thread was started a few years ago. My bad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2009 01:50PM by krusovice.
August 13, 2009 02:09PM
Look at the date the thread was started.
August 13, 2009 03:07PM
eeek

Sure. But from the looks of it, your revived this thread from the boneyard. grinning smiley
August 13, 2009 03:23PM
y_p_w
eeek

Sure. But from the looks of it, your revived this thread from the boneyard. grinning smiley

Well...yeah.
August 13, 2009 03:38PM
krusovice
I didn't hear about the Vernal or Nevada Falls incidents from this year. Any links to these stories?

Wasn't there a fatality on the Mist Trail this year (2009 since this will be archived)?

http://www.nps.gov/yose/parknews/lehmann.htm
http://www.sierrastar.com/103/story/48778.html
http://www.friendsofyosar.org/rescues/rescues.html

Apparently she was swept off during pretty nasty thunderstorm and was clinging to a boulder before she got swept into the Merced River. She was actually below the Vernal Fall footbridge. The storm must have been pretty violent since that's not an area I'd consider all that difficult to traverse even in the rain. I don't know if there was an autopsy performed to find out if she succumbed from drowning or from blunt force trauma. I suppose the big currents make if difficult to find anyone, since it sounds as if it took about 4 weeks to find her body.
August 13, 2009 05:36PM
Why are we discussing current events on a four year old thread? (I am wondering if I am missing a connection between 2005 & 2009)
August 13, 2009 05:44PM
Bee
(I am wondering if I am missing a connection between 2005 & 2009)

Only if you are missing 2006, 2007, and 2008.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2009 05:45PM by szalkowski.
August 13, 2009 06:10PM
Bee
Why are we discussing current events on a four year old thread? (I am wondering if I am missing a connection between 2005 & 2009)

Somebody claimed there were more deaths than usual that year. So far I'm not convinced.
August 13, 2009 06:22PM
eeek
Bee

Somebody claimed there were more deaths than usual that year. So far I'm not convinced.

As far as I know, the best quick check of the death stats are in the above mentioned Death in Yosemite book. At quick glance, I agree that there did not seem to be anything out of the ordinary. I think that each incident get sensationalized to the point of ad nauseum, so it seems worse now that we get instant gratification on the death reports (especially, gawd forbid, if it takes place on Half Dome)

B
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login