Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (59% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Will anybody notice

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 12, 2009 09:55PM
I took the plunge and here we are on the newer software.
April 12, 2009 11:11PM
I tried to use the "eyes rolling smiley" but it did not work....you will just have to use your imagination that my eyes are rolling winking smiley

B

PS must remove that formality of a name off my posts!! (off to never-never land to see what new toys await)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/12/2009 11:16PM by Shoshana B..
April 13, 2009 10:27AM
So is there a setting for a flat/linear view?

I like all the features and everything, but I'm starting to miss the flat view immediately.

Update: I figured out the setting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2009 10:30AM by y_p_w.
April 13, 2009 10:52AM
You can change the view in the control center (link is on the upper right of your screen).
Wizard
April 13, 2009 11:16AM
I have reviewed the setting options but cannot find a method of displaying the messages on a topic as "most recent first" or "descending" date/time. Is this setting available?

(edited) I understand this feature not to be available (yet) but one can click on the "last post" to the right side of the message listing and go directly to the end of the discussion.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2009 11:30AM by Frank Furter.
April 13, 2009 06:46PM
i hate change. lol but i'll live with it.. is it just a new look? or will it enable new things?
April 13, 2009 07:25PM
Lots of new features with the new look.
April 13, 2009 07:43PM
I hate the new software.
April 13, 2009 07:55PM
bill-e-g
I hate the new software.

Someone was asking when I'd update. Wasn't you?
Re: Will anybody notice
April 13, 2009 07:58PM
So how do I get back to flat view? I truly dislike threaded view...
April 13, 2009 08:00PM
cthenn
So how do I get back to flat view? I truly dislike threaded view...

You are in control of your view. Just hop on over to the control center and set it how you like.
April 13, 2009 08:29PM
bill-e-g
I hate the new software.

Don't be such a Party-Pooper!angry smiley

B
April 13, 2009 08:33PM
With the amount of whining going on, I'm beginning to feel like I've accidentally gotten tuned into the Rush Limbaugh Daily Rant.

Play with the software settings. Figure it out.
April 13, 2009 08:47PM
Is "default" often the same as one of the choices?
For example
forum setting --> message list display options--> "default" seems to be same as "one entry per topic"

Also, from control panel --> edit profile, is the google earth location option supposed to work, something about called api linked to another website but mentions my browser being an issue.

The cure for a fallacious argument is a better argument, not the suppression of ideas.
-- Carl Sagan
April 13, 2009 09:05PM
Frank Furter
Is "default" often the same as one of the choices?

It should be.

Also, from control panel --> edit profile, is the google earth location option supposed to work, something about called api linked to another website but mentions my browser being an issue.

Oops! Thanks for letting me know. I have to get a different API key than the one I had for testing.
April 13, 2009 09:08PM
Frank Furter

Try it now.
April 13, 2009 09:28PM
eeek
Frank Furter

Try it now.

I can't find Puckerbrush, Nevada. But otherwise it appears to function properly! Thanks

-- Carl Sagan
April 13, 2009 09:31PM
Frank Furter
I can't find Puckerbrush, Nevada.

Complain to Google about that. wink
April 13, 2009 11:07PM
szalkowski: >I'm beginning to feel like I've accidentally gotten tuned into the Rush Limbaugh Daily Rant.<

EEEEE-YEWW!! sad smiley

Actually, I love the new board. I only made noise in the beginning because I expected to be the only one to do so.

B
April 15, 2009 06:14PM
Now that we have a few days with the new format, can I again pose the suggestion that a view of the postings to an individual thread allow "descending" or "most recent first" option? I find scrolling through older postings to be a personal challenge. The threads themselves post in a descending fashion; it would be good to have the messages in the threads to post in a similiar fashion. Even when one clicks on the "last post" it only get you to the last page.

-- Carl Sagan
April 15, 2009 07:32PM
Frank Furter
Now that we have a few days with the new format, can I again pose the suggestion that a view of the postings to an individual thread allow "descending" or "most recent first" option? I find scrolling through older postings to be a personal challenge. The threads themselves post in a descending fashion; it would be good to have the messages in the threads to post in a similiar fashion. Even when one clicks on the "last post" it only get you to the last page.

The way the forum is set up now is the most preferred order, by most users of forum software. It is also the default on most forum software packages. I run about 8 forums and they are all set up as this one. You'll get used to it as you learn to navigate more efficiently.

Here are a few tips.
The Last Post link should take you to the last post, not the top of the last page. If it doesn't your browers not working properly.

If you click the red flag next to new posts it will take you the last post you read, so everything below will be new. The forum knows how far you've read each topic from your cookie.
April 15, 2009 08:01PM
losthillsguy

The Last Post link should take you to the last post, not the top of the last page. If it doesn't your browers not working properly.

If you click the red flag next to new posts it will take you the last post you read, so everything below will be new. The forum knows how far you've read each topic from your cookie.

I will try the flag thing. Almost universally, the "last post" takes me to the top of the last page. Occasionally to the bottom, I think with my own posts. I haven't had other problems on other forums. What aspect of the browser would be defective??

-- Carl Sagan
April 13, 2009 08:52PM
>Don't be such a Party-Pooper!

What!

Caveman just got back from woods and new software shock to system.
I put you all a picture of the rocky-slide from the Diving Board.

Here's some more:
<http://picasaweb.google.com/dale.dekeyser/DivingBoard09#>;

I don't like the page 1/2/3.

I like this though:
smileys with beer

The finger smiley is a bit much...
April 13, 2009 09:32PM
I'd rather see all replies listed in order like Doug does with Whitney Portal Store. I couldn't care less how many views each reply has had.
April 13, 2009 09:33PM
Vince
I'd rather see all replies listed in order like Doug does with Whitney Portal Store. I couldn't care less how many views each reply has had.

Have you played with the various viewing modes in the control center?
April 13, 2009 11:02PM
Bill-e-g: >Don't be such a Party-Pooper!

What!<

I could not resist that one; it was just too sweet to pass on

Bill-e-g: >The finger smiley is a bit much...<

I am half blind from an allergic reaction, and I almost used "the finger" sign thinking it was the anger sign (well, they are sorta one in the same)

nice slippity-slide pic...perspective is a bit main course...I like my rock slides as side dishes

B
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login