Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (71% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Camp fires

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Camp fires
October 29, 2005 02:16PM
i spent the night at Upper Pines (space #240) last tuesday night. i was surprised to learn that they have a rule of no campfires after 10pm! what???! well, the lady at the entrance told me that, but when i went to purchase the site for the night (at a different place), that lady told me that wasn't true this time of year. when i went back to my site, i mentioned this to the original lady (at the entrance booth), she said "well, yeah, it's just i personally don't like campfires after 10pm". .... i'm thinking "too bad! that's what camping is all about (having a fire) and you're lying to people because of your personal preferences?!!!". that ticked me off... needless to say, i kept the fire going all night ;-)

btw, what's with all those high end $$$ RV's???? i was one of about 4 tents in the whole camp ground. lol

Like I always say, "If you can't laugh at yourself, let me do it".
October 29, 2005 03:37PM
There is a campfire restriction from May-October and fires have to be out by 10pm. The restriction ended Oct. 15.
October 30, 2005 08:37AM
All I can say is "Thank God" for the May to October 10 PM limitation. The Valley is simply too crowded during those months to allow camp fires all night. I've been there in the summer many times, and even with the 10 PM restriction, the Valley holds in all of that smoke. Needless to say, it makes for less than an inspiring night. Especially, if you are getting ready for the Half Dome hike the next morning. You need clean lungs for that, (or at least I do!).

Back in John Muir's day I'm sure having a camp fire all night was just fine. Bring 3-4 million people to Yosemite every summer, well then, you need to make some adjustments.

The ranger should not have misled about the current restrictions. I will certainly agree with that point.

But, I don't think camping is as much about having a fire as it is enjoying the great outdoors. Looking at the stars, listening for park animals, just enjoying the solitude. You don't (necessarily) need a camp fire for that.

Not trying to be argumentative here, but I do know that Yosemite must have some restrictions on camp fires. I'm glad they do.

Bill
November 02, 2005 10:16PM
I have similar sentiments Bill. I don't begrudge people who have campfires when and where it is allowed, as I know that it means a lot to some. But I personally never have a campfire because I feel that it's just too much impact for one (or a few) people to make. Plus, I can see in the dark a lot better without the glare of a fire.

Jon Shannon
www.YosemiteTrailsDVD.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login