Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Pepsi, no Coke

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 14, 2009 04:04PM
Buffalo, NY – April 2009 – Delaware North Companies, one of the largest hospitality and food service companies in the world, has selected PepsiCo (NYSE: PEP) as the official provider of fountain drinks and packaged food and beverage products for its U.S. operations.

http://hospitality-1st.com/PressNews/DNC-041409.html
April 14, 2009 04:23PM
I plan on bringing my own beverages in anyways.

If this means they don't carry Coca-Cola products at any of the markets, then that would just be wrong. It would be like Safeway refusing to stock Pepsi because of a deal reached with Coca-Cola.
April 14, 2009 04:33PM
I read it as just being fountain drinks. Which I don't really buy in the park anyway.
April 14, 2009 04:54PM
eeek
I read it as just being fountain drinks. Which I don't really buy in the park anyway.

I think it might also mean stuff like coolers in the cafeteria might be stocked only with Pepsi brands. That would be bottled/canned soft drinks as well as Tropicana juices and Aquafina bottled water as mentioned by the article.

BTW - Odwalla is owned by Coca-Cola. I don't recall if you can get that in Yosemite.
April 14, 2009 10:20PM
sounds good to me, i'm a Pepsi man! smileys with beer
April 14, 2009 11:52PM
Pepsi is sugar water.

Coke, no Pepsi.

(I'm a Pepper, personally)
April 15, 2009 02:38AM
Vince
Pepsi is sugar water.

Coke, no Pepsi.

(I'm a Pepper, personally)

None of the above! Anything that does what coke does when spilled on car paint (don't ask) should be destined for the Hazzardous Waste binthumbs down

B
April 15, 2009 07:18AM
Bee,

A million years ago when my only mode of transport was a bicycle we used to wrap coke soaked rags around the chrome handle bars to remove rust. Since then they have removed most of that good stuff.

Pepsi has been particularly agressive in its "contract" approach. It's already done this for years at public schools. Shame on Deleware North.
It's not surprising that corporate America has made another dumb marketing decision.

Back in the early 70's my wife and I did several successive weekend overnighters to Little Yosemite Valley, always in hot weather. On the trek down we always looked forward to a tall delicious ice cream soda at the resturant somewhere near Curry Village. For those who are ice cream soda lovers you know there are few places that still make them or even know how. The last time we did that trek we approached the resturant dehydrated and relishing our customary treat only to discover it had become a Burger King! What a horrible dissappointment. It's the little things in life.

Jim
April 15, 2009 08:21AM
tomdisco
Bee,

A million years ago when my only mode of transport was a bicycle we used to wrap coke soaked rags around the chrome handle bars to remove rust. Since then they have removed most of that good stuff.

Pepsi has been particularly agressive in its "contract" approach. It's already done this for years at public schools. Shame on Deleware North.
It's not surprising that corporate America has made another dumb marketing decision.

Coke is the leader (by far) in fountain sales, but I suppose Pepsi really wants to compete. Coke is exclusive to all the major US fast food chains except for the ones that were once owned by Pepsi (Yum Brands - KFC, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut). I remember back when Coke started their "new formula" I was reading a report that Pepsi had more canned/bottled sales, but that Coke had an overwhelming share of fountain sales.

I've also seen some kosher Coke for sale during Passover. There's nothing all that different about it other than the use of real sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. I was thinking of buying some, but it was $2 for a 2 liter bottle.
April 15, 2009 08:49AM
YPW: "I've also seen some kosher Coke for sale during Passover"

Yeah, trust me, the whole Kosher l'Pasach industry is a scam (ahhhh! I can feel the lightening bolts) EVERYthing is a million dollars more and tastes half as good!

B
April 15, 2009 11:58AM
Bee
YPW: "I've also seen some kosher Coke for sale during Passover"

Yeah, trust me, the whole Kosher l'Pasach industry is a scam (ahhhh! I can feel the lightening bolts) EVERYthing is a million dollars more and tastes half as good!

B

Well - I'm looking at my desk I've got two bottles of He'brew beer. I couldn't resist, even if the founder was a Stanford grad.

http://www.shmaltz.com/

Really though, I was reading up on kosher Coke, and the main reason why most people preferred it was that it contains real sugar. I've been to other parts of the world where real sugar is used. There are sources for bottled Coke from Mexico that uses real sugar. It does have a very different taste - almost "crisper" with less of a lingering sugary aftertaste.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03192007/news/regionalnews/kosher__coke_a_big_hit_regionalnews_rita_delfiner.htm

http://www.bevreview.com/2006/04/07/review-review-kosher-for-passover-coke/
http://www.thefoodsection.com/foodsection/2007/03/kosher_coke_sma.html
April 15, 2009 01:07PM
That guy looks more like a Saami except for the locks.

Old Dude
April 15, 2009 09:03PM
YPW:> Really though, I was reading up on kosher Coke, and the main reason why most people preferred it was that it contains real sugar. I've been to other parts of the world where real sugar is used.<

Very true. Dr. Brown's Root Beer is the same way for Pesach -- the sugar is sooo much better than corn syrup.

My cousin mentioned something about Hebrew Beer last week, but....I thought that he was pulling my other leg (the one still attached)

B
February 24, 2011 01:45PM
Bee
YPW:> Really though, I was reading up on kosher Coke, and the main reason why most people preferred it was that it contains real sugar. I've been to other parts of the world where real sugar is used.<

Very true. Dr. Brown's Root Beer is the same way for Pesach -- the sugar is sooo much better than corn syrup.

My cousin mentioned something about Hebrew Beer last week, but....I thought that he was pulling my other leg (the one still attached)

B

Just revisiting this thread since it's almost that time of year again.

I recently looked over a can of Coke and realized that it is kosher, with the Orthodox Union symbol stamped on the top of the can with all the states with can deposits. I guess the deal is that the HFCS is considered a "leavening" ingredient that doesn't follow Kashrut guidelines for Passover (or Pesach as you used). So this special Passover Coke is stamped with the circle around the U, as well as a P, meaning "kosher for Passover".

http://newyork.seriouseats.com/2009/03/what-is-passover-coke-guide-to-kosher-sodas.html
April 15, 2009 09:30PM

I was reading up on kosher Coke, and the main reason why most people preferred it was that it contains real sugar.

I noticed that Costco has been selling Coke from Mexico. The only reason appears to be because it users real sugar.
April 15, 2009 08:14AM
Bee

None of the above! Anything that does what coke does when spilled on car paint (don't ask) should be destined for the Hazzardous Waste binthumbs down

B

That would be the phosphoric acid. It's on Pepsi's ingredient list too. It's not that bad when entering the mouth since the human body produces a small amount of alkaline buffers. I'd worry more about tooth decay when the bacteria starts eating the sugars and produces stronger acids.
Re: Pepsi, no Coke
April 17, 2009 10:57PM
y_p_w
That would be the phosphoric acid. It's on Pepsi's ingredient list too. It's not that bad when entering the mouth since the human body produces a small amount of alkaline buffers. I'd worry more about tooth decay when the bacteria starts eating the sugars and produces stronger acids.

Or maybe the dehydration, or the empty load of sugar calories. They're all utter garbage, but fortunately the water at the food court and other places is free, and a heckuva lot better in every way, except for treating rust 8^). Soda drinks are probably the worst invention ever, there's no redeeming value to them, but people get hooked on the sweetness. I saw a lady in a fast food joint heading back for a quick refill of her 44-ouncer as they left, announcing "let me get a little more caffeine". That and several hundred calories, which she very obviously didn't need.

Then of course there are diet sodas, which delete the calories and instead give you chemicals to make you think you're getting your sugar, when they have no clue what that stuff will do to people who use it over a long term. But they don't care because no one can prove anything. They just attribute their failing whatever to old age.

Gary
Yosemite Photo Galleries: http://www.pbase.com/roberthouse/yo
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login