Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

Advanced

Re: The Guardian on our National Parks

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

The Guardian on our National Parks
November 20, 2018 07:57AM
We've come to appreciate the perspective that the Guardian gives on many stories, and this one really hit home. It's an excellent discussion of the issues we face moving forward with our national parks.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/nov/20/national-parks-america-overcrowding-crisis-tourism-visitation-solutions

We have always been of the opinion that encouraging people to visit the mountains is a good idea, because the more people appreciate our wilderness, the more they will vote for protection of our wild places. But this article suggests that we may be well beyond the carrying capacity of some of our parks, and more people isn't going to help that at all. On the other hand, we never post geo-locations for any of our photos, and we don't usually recommend specific campsites for two reasons. One of them is that we think you should find your own scenic treasures. The other one is that you may prefer something different from what we like, and you should feel free to explore a bit. At any rate, the story is sobering. And yes, we contribute to pay for the Guardian's work.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
November 20, 2018 10:04AM
Thanks for the link. Loving the parks to death is indeed a serious problem, and Instagram and the like are undoubtedly contributing to the problem (just as, I'm sure, Airbnb and similar services are driving up prices at places like Yosemite West). Capping the number of vehicles/visitors is probably the solution in many cases. Sigh.

When I help friends plan visits to Yosemite (what for them will be their first and likely only visit), I don't tell them to stay away from the valley, but I do try to prepare them with realistic expectations: I describe visiting the valley on a summer day as akin to going to Disneyland, but without the rides. Looking up at El Capitan and Half Dome is always breathtaking, just don't expect to have it all to yourself. If you're looking for solitude, it will take some effort to get away from the crowds.

I didn't realize Yosemite is installing more cellphone towers. Stooooopid. Adding more coverage is just going to increase selfie stick use and downstream result in more visitation. And being out of cellphone range is one of the best things about being in the park. When we headed back to Oakland in August after several days in the TM area - on what would have been our daughter's first day of school - as soon as we got into cellphone range my wife was inundated with dozens of messages from other parents complaining about problems with the school buses. Who needs that when you're in Yosemite?
November 20, 2018 09:05PM
Thanks for posting the link. Always a challenge to protect yet allow people to come.
avatar Re: The Guardian on our National Parks
November 21, 2018 07:10AM
We quit posting so much stuff and TRs not because we don't go all the time.
It's because LNT is preached. But rarely followed.
Really a bummer because it's fun to share. I'll be content sharing with the
people I know care dearly.

Sigh

Have a good one

Chick-on is looking at you!
November 21, 2018 08:26AM
Chick-on, I miss your TRs, but I understand your reluctance to post them. I may eventually get around to doing a TR of an overnight trip from August, but in the vein of LNT not being followed, here's a photo from the southeast side of Nelson on that trip. Notice the soap bubbles lining the shore; they extended for probably another 100 yards beyond what's shown in the photo. They didn't get there because the lake suddenly starting saponifying fats...and yes, the water we got here had a slightly soapy taste to it. This really irked me. Still does.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2018 08:48AM by Not quite The Geezer, but getting there.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login