All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 15, 2009 12:26PM
Crew is continuing to widen the road and clear the parking lot. As of now the main spot of concern regarding road width is rom summit meadow to Badger. That area will be widened this morning and the dozers will be able to be hauled starting today. Next week we will be patching and repairing the roadway in various locations.The fuel truck is scheduled to be delivered to the 140 /120 junction tomorrow. Tentative opening date will be April 24, 2009 pending any additional storms or safety concerns.
April 15, 2009 01:38PM
Wow. I wouldn't expect this looking at the conditions last weekend.
April 15, 2009 01:41PM
bill-e-g
Wow. I wouldn't expect this looking at the conditions last weekend.

I had to read it twice. It still doesn't seem real to me.
April 15, 2009 01:51PM
I didn't see that info on the nps website.
It looked like the dead of winter at GP on Sunday morning. At least I couldn't see anyone or
any plowed anything from where we were. (There's a photo of GP in the diving board photos).
Just seems wild since it didn't open that early last year.
Since 1995 it has never opened in April. So I'll say it again... wow!
April 15, 2009 02:25PM

Since 1995 it has never opened in April.

There's a different guy in change now. Perhaps that's why it appears to be opening early.
Re: Glacier Point Road
April 15, 2009 02:37PM
Where did you get this info? I didn't see anything on the NPS website...maybe I didn't look hard enough?
April 15, 2009 02:41PM
cthenn
Where did you get this info? I didn't see anything on the NPS website...maybe I didn't look hard enough?

It was in the Daily Report today.
April 15, 2009 04:47PM
They just posted April 24th as a tentative opening date on Twitter. So I guess it must be real.
April 15, 2009 05:08PM
Dang. There goes my Pohono w/ GP Road Closed Cool Grape Goodness.
Guess I might need to get the snowshoes out...
There's still 25 inches of snow at Ostrander.
Are they just trying to set a record? Looky what I did as... blah blah blah??
April 16, 2009 04:39PM
I think what happened is they started early on Glacier Point and will be starting a week late on Tioga Road. The late start makes the initial plowing a lot earier due to the extra melt time.
April 16, 2009 11:40PM
I'm actually glad to see this, because my trip to Kings Canyon hasn't been called off.

Turlock April 24 around late afternoon erect telescope, see halfdome, sawsomething, went to Fresno.Pitch tent in Cedar Grove by dark.
April 25, whaaatever.Maybe snowshoes, maybe stay in campground with comfort drink.Maybe not.
April 26, Glacier Point on the way back to Sparks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login