Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (84% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Acclimating to High Altitude

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Acclimating to High Altitude
May 12, 2019 05:56AM
Although my wife & I live close to sea level, I've always been fortunate in that I acclimate to altitude fairly quickly. My wife is not so fortunate. We'll be heading to Rocky Mountain NP next week and starting our stay on the (much higher) west side (we'll be staying in Grand Lake which is a little below 8500') with pretty much all hikes being up from there. We've done this before (starting in Grand Lake and then moving over to Estes Park (ca. 7500') for the second half of the trip...and yes, I know it would have made more sense to do it in the other direction but that's a long story!) so have a good idea of what to expect adjustment-wise and I know that I'll end up spending at least part of the first 2 or 3 days hiking by myself while she gets used to the altitude.

I seem to recall seeing mention on this board a number of years ago about medications which some people have found useful in acclimating. Any suggestions that might help her adjust more quickly would be very much welcome.
May 12, 2019 08:12AM
My wife has used Diamox when hiked in Peru. I think she found the side effects as bad as the altitude sickness. Now she just takes an extra day to acclimate.

Drink lots of water, as dehydration mimics many of the symptoms of altitude, and the air in the Rockies is bone dry

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
avatar Re: Acclimating to High Altitude
May 13, 2019 07:05PM
I've used Diamox and it does help. It also makes carbonated beverages taste wrong.
May 13, 2019 07:22PM
Thanks, guys...my wife's leaning towards just taking it easy the first day so it looks like I will be hiking alone for a bit!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login