All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Special Weather Statement
April 17, 2009 11:32AM
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN JOAQUIN VALLEY - HANFORD CA
538 AM PDT FRI APR 17 2009
...WARMER TEMPERATURES TO BRING INCREASED SNOWMELT...

A STRONG HIGH PRESSURE AREA WILL BUILD OVER CENTRAL CALIFORNIA THIS WEEKEND. THIS WILL
BRING MUCH WARMER TEMPERATURES TO THE
REGION...ALONG WITH INCREASED SNOWMELT IN THE SOUTHERN SIERRA NEVADA.
THE INCREASED RUNOFF WILL BRING RISES ON MANY MOUNTAIN STREAMS AND RIVERS. THESE
WATERS WILL BE QUITE COLD AND SWIFT MOVING...AND
WHILE THEY MAY APPEAR INVITING...CAN BE QUITE DANGEROUS.
IF YOU ARE PLANNING OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES IN THE MOUNTAINS THIS WEEKEND OR EARLY NEXT
WEEK...BE CAREFUL IN AND NEAR AREA RIVERS AND LAKES...AND USE COMMON SENSE. ANYONE
CAUGHT IN THE COLD WATER CAN QUICKLY EXPERIENCE HYPOTHERMIA...WHICH IS A RAPID LOSS OF
BODY
HEAT AND CAN BE FATAL.
IF CAMPING NEAR STREAMS...REMEMBER THAT THE HIGHEST STREAM FLOWS OCCUR AT NIGHT...
USUALLY BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 10 PM AND 3 AM...NOT
DURING THE WARMEST PART OF THE DAY. KEEP YOUR GEAR FAR ENOUGH AWAY FROM WATER TO
AVOID ANY SUDDEN OR UNEXPECTED RISES IN WATER
LEVELS.
avatar Re: Special Weather Statement
April 17, 2009 12:12PM
I called SEKI just now to find out about Cedar Grove for next weekend. After pushing, 9, 4, 1, etc etc etc, finally after running around the touchtone, got through to the visitor center at Grant Grove...and I got a message saying call back later.

But it will be very warm this week and I am assuming 180 will be open into Kings Canyon.

Predicted 82 degrees here in Sparks on Tuesday.
April 17, 2009 12:18PM
Caltrans shows no restrictions on 180.
April 17, 2009 12:29PM
Yeah, I noticed that. Usually it says restriction past Hume Lake. But the park recording says the road is closed.

You should listen to this gal on the recording. She is really s-faced.

Dial 559-565-3341, then 9, 4, 1. It's really scary.
April 19, 2009 02:31PM
Hehe... raging rivers and streams after snow melt seem inviting?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login