All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

A new hiking scale for Bugs
June 10, 2020 04:14PM
Those who are sailors will be acquainted with the Beaufort Scale, which is used to grade the force of winds at sea. A force ten gale is something fierce, and the scale tops out at twelve--a full-blown hurricane. Each step is accompanied by a description of the sea at that force of wind. A good system.

So we were thinking...

What if we had a similar scale for mosquitoes in the wilderness? We could call it the Bugforce Scale. Here's our suggestion:

0--Zero. Really. No mosquitoes.
1--I think I may have seen one. But maybe it was a gnat.
2--OK, I saw one, and heard one, but didn't actually get bitten,
3--Yeah, there were some in a few spots. Only the timid put on organic bug juice.
4--Got a few bites, but I got more of them than they got of me.
5--Time for DEET at dawn and dusk. Hiking, we just slapped and sped up.
6--DEET while hiking. Headnets at dawn and dusk
7--Pick your camp spots carefully, up on the ridge in the wind. Bites between hat and sunglasses--how do they get in there?
8--Long sleeves and long pants, I don't care how hot it is. Pray for wind.
9--Headnets while hiking, or you'll breathe in at least one bug per mile. DEET dissolves sunglasses
10--Clouds of mosquitoes waiting on the trail and on the screen of the tent. Open warfare. DEET dissolves watchband, and it's stainless steel.
11--We made it out alive.
12--They got Larry. RIP, Larry.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
avatar Re: A new hiking scale for Bugs
June 10, 2020 05:50PM
13--Small children carried off by organized clouds of mosquitoes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2020 11:15AM by eeek.
Re: A new hiking scale for Bugs
June 14, 2020 07:35AM
eeek
13--Small children carry off my organized clouds of mosquitoes.

I have to assume this is supposed to say "Small children are carried off by organized clouds of mosquitos." but the original version has interesting connotations, too! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
June 14, 2020 08:50AM
We experienced #11 on the Bugforce Scale while hiking Desolation Wilderness as we approached Mosquito Pass @ Lake Aloha. We ran. We ran fast. We ran Usain Bolt fast but with flailing arms.
June 12, 2020 08:39PM
LOL That is great.
June 16, 2020 03:27PM
I HATE mosquitoes.

Was bit by one on three spots on the back of my knee. I told my husband they show pictures of hell full of fire. They should show a place full of mosquitoes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login