Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Full

JanSport

Advanced

Dangerous Marijuana Grow Site Discovered in Jail Canyon

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Dangerous Marijuana Grow Site Discovered in Jail Canyon
May 10, 2021 11:53AM
DEATH VALLEY, CA – Park rangers recently discovered a large, illegal marijuana grow site in Death Valley National Park. The site of approximately 40 acres was spotted in Jail Canyon, a rarely-visited canyon on the western side of the Panamint Mountains. Jail Canyon is temporarily closed for public safety reasons until park rangers can fully evaluate the area.

Carbofuran and other dangerous chemicals have been found previously at marijuana grow sites in the park. In the past, growers have threatened hikers who have stumbled upon their illegal operations.

“We are deeply saddened and concerned with the damage that these illegal activities cause,” said Barbara Durham, Traditional Historic Preservation Officer for the Timbisha Shoshone Tribe. “The natural and cultural resources in these areas are irreplaceable and invaluable, damaging them for profit shows incredible disrespect to our homeland.”

“Preserving natural and cultural resources while providing an opportunity for the public to enjoy amazing places is at the core of our mission,” said Rob Wissinger, Chief Ranger at Death Valley National Park. “Seeing irreparable damage to a fragile ecosystem rich with rare natural and cultural resources is devastating.”

Marijuana grow sites significantly damage and destroy the park’s natural and cultural resources by introducing pesticides, land clearing, poaching and waterway modifications. Although the climate of Death Valley may appear inhospitable to marijuana cultivation, over the past decade, hundreds of acres of marijuana have been illegally cultivated in the park.

Visitors to Death Valley’s most well-traveled areas are not at risk of finding a marijuana grow site. However, hikers in remote areas near water sources should remain alert, turn around and leave if they notice signs of suspicious activity, such as excessive amounts of trash, hillside terracing, or plastic irrigation tubing. Once safe, they should notify rangers at a visitor center or call the National Park Service tip line at 888-653-0009.

California legalized marijuana in 2016, but the federal government still classifies marijuana as a Schedule 1 controlled substance.
Re: Dangerous Marijuana Grow Site Discovered in Jail Canyon
May 14, 2021 06:49AM
We once witnessed a very educational confrontation between a ranger in Lassen NP and some campers who were loud, obnoxious, and causing a problem. The ranger noted their use of marijuana, and cited one of them for possession, which helped to settle them down considerably.

But then the ranger pointed out that this was a federal offense, and required a hearing in federal court. At that point they all apologized, packed up, and left the campground. While the State of California has legalized pot, the feds still take it seriously.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
Re: Dangerous Marijuana Grow Site Discovered in Jail Canyon
June 04, 2021 04:03AM
40 acres of illegal marijuana? That sounds like a lot. I don't know how things are in California, but in many states, legalization makes it affordable. I understand that marijuana takes a large share of the illegal market, but can't you make your business legal with so much money? I have been buying CBD vape liquid on a legal website for a long time, and I never even thought that there might be some problems with this. Is it really that hard to do your legal marijuana business? I am sure that now, more than ever, is the best time for this. The drug business will not disappear, but I think that its volumes will decrease in the near future due to legalization.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2021 10:14AM by Releaseone.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login