Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (75% of Full)

Advanced

Dehydrated food recommendations?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Dehydrated food recommendations?
February 13, 2024 09:13PM
Does anyone have recommendations for quick and nutritious dinners (veg and non-veg) without excessive packaging? Years ago, I switched from packaged meals to these bean soups I could buy in bulk from the grocery store. They really hit the spot, especially with some crackers and a chunk of Parmesan cheese on the side... Well, apparently the store doesn't carry them anymore. I can't justify buying a dehydrator, and procedures I found online for dehydrating food in the oven look like too much work.
Re: Dehydrated food recommendations?
February 14, 2024 07:24AM
I often take Ramen noodles on short trips. I'm not sure I want to depend on them for massive amounts of nutrition, but they seem to work fairly well for me--expecially the ones that include curry, which haver a higher calorie count. I've also used Idaho brand potato soups--but they a take a bit more cooking.

I try to avoid anything that needs long boiling, as it uses up my cooking gas too soon. Ramen is usually three minutes--that's about my max,

You could also explore recipes using Couscous, which cook really fast. Add in some herbs, spices, a cube of bullion, (there are veggie versions, too) for more flavor.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
February 14, 2024 07:42AM
I see. Those bean soups were great because you could just add hot water, just like the packaged ones, and keep the pot clean to make tea.
March 04, 2024 02:17AM
iivvgg
Does anyone have recommendations for quick and nutritious dinners (veg and non-veg) without excessive packaging? Years ago, I switched from packaged meals to these bean soups I could buy in bulk from the grocery store. They really hit the spot, especially with some crackers and a chunk of Parmesan cheese on the side... Well, apparently the store doesn't carry them anymore. I can't justify buying a dehydrator, and procedures I found online for dehydrating food in the oven look like too much work.
You can have some Tuna Lime Tostadas or Broiled Scallops.
April 15, 2024 09:50AM
I repackage everything into quart-size freezer bags, then roll them up and keep them rolled with a litle piece of tape. I like Packit Gourmet - their bean burrito is great (among other good things), and they also have a grocery section where you can buy freeze-dried chicken, beef, cheese, veggies, etc. without needing to buy that stuff in huge containers. I often bring instant mashed potatoes with some of that stuff added to it. I do a lot of PB&J onto tortillas also. Another thing I've starting bringing for lunches while hiking are Walking Tamales. You can find them online, and sometimes at Whole Foods. The green one is the best. They aren't ultralight, but no worse than a pouch of tuna or Spam.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login