Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (56% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Vanilla

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

April 22, 2009 11:14PM
Ever since I went backpacking in the Kenedy Meadows area of the Southern Sierra and camped next to a Jeffrey Pine (Pinus jeffreyi) I've had a great love for vanilla. Have any of you succumbed to the Jeffrey's delightful aroma?
April 22, 2009 11:22PM
Yes and it's quite pleasant.

Old Dude
April 22, 2009 11:33PM
eeek
Ever since I went backpacking in the Kenedy Meadows area of the Southern Sierra and camped next to a Jeffrey Pine (Pinus jeffreyi) I've had a great love for vanilla. Have any of you succumbed to the Jeffrey's delightful aroma?

YES -- kayaking around the Tahoe area in July, the aroma gets downright heady!

B
April 22, 2009 11:36PM
It's probably why I start craving ice cream a couple of days into a backpacking trip. winking smiley
April 22, 2009 11:39PM
eeek
It's probably why I start craving ice cream a couple of days into a backpacking trip. winking smiley

After that particular kayaking trip, I insisted on Rootbeer floats, cheeseburgers, french fries, and more ice cream afterwards. I have a distinct memory of the first time I smelled that heady fragrance.

B
April 22, 2009 11:40PM
Exiting the wilderness at Happy Isles after a five day backpack often had me wonder if I wanted ice cream or beer first. Which is weird because I'm just not that into beer; didn't even like it until I was about thirty.
April 22, 2009 11:45PM
eeek
Exiting the wilderness at Happy Isles after a five day backpack often had me wonder if I wanted ice cream or beer first. Which is weird because I'm just not that into beer; didn't even like it until I was about thirty.

Jimmy Buffet has a song called "Cheeseburger in Paradise" and I have always felt that that song summed it up....especially if you are living off of food out of a bag for too many days (military or hiking...its all the same!)

B
April 22, 2009 11:47PM
Bee
Jimmy Buffet has a song called "Cheeseburger in Paradise"

I've always loved that song. Did you see the Feasting on Waves episode where they went to the place that inspired the song?

and I have always felt that that song summed it up....especially if you are living off of food out of a bag for too many days (military or hiking...its all the same!)

A nice crisp salad is good too!
April 22, 2009 11:52PM
eeek
Bee
Jimmy Buffet has a song called "Cheeseburger in Paradise"

I've always loved that song. Did you see the Feasting on Waves episode where they went to the place that inspired the song?

Yes, one of my friends saved it for me because I have been known to start muttering that song when I have eaten too many dehydrated meals, so it's become sort of my personal anthem (especially after three weeks in a row of schnitzel in the mess hall)

and I have always felt that that song summed it up....especially if you are living off of food out of a bag for too many days (military or hiking...its all the same!)

A nice crisp salad is good too!

I have to admit that fresh crunchies are a preferrable choice, too!

B
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login