Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Pothole Dome (Tuolumne Meadows, Yosemite National Park)

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Tahoe New Years Hikes

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

January 07, 2014 07:11PM
I spent New Years at Tahoe, and went skiing for two days...not much snow, so I also went hiking. On New Years' Day, up to Andesite Peak (near Castle Peak, Donner Summit), then looping back via Castle Pass. On the 4th, to the summit of Mt. Rose.

Andesite Peak Conditions: carried my snow shoes but didn't need them, because trails were sufficiently packed down.

Mt. Rose Conditions: didn't carry snow shoes but did bring my hooded shell layer. It was warm until I got near the summit ridge, where there was a very cold stiff east wind. Trail was packed solid, stuff off the trail would have needed snowshoes as the snow seems to be sugar snow. If we get a big dump later in the year I'd worry about avalanche issues above, say, 9K feet.

Pics...

Castle Peak from trail:

Round Valley from Andesite Peak:

Castle Peak from Andesite:

And on Saturday...

Lake Tahoe from the beginning of the trail:

Frozen waterfall on Galena Creek:

Tahoe from Mt. Rose Summit:

Donner Lake, from Mt. Rose Summit:

Reno, from Mt. Rose Summit:

Mt. Rose, from Galena Creek:

avatar Re: Tahoe New Years Hikes
January 12, 2014 12:02AM
Thanks for posting all the photos.

So little snow overall. The air looked very clear unlike the smoggy stagnant air we have being experiencing here in the Bay Area. Hopefully more snow is on the way (at least of the Sierra).

avatar Re: Tahoe New Years Hikes
January 12, 2014 01:42PM
At least one of the days I skied had stagnant air over Lake Tahoe (the other had stagnant air in the morning, clearing later), luckily the basin was nice and clear when I hiked Rose.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login