Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Vernel Fall, Merced River, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (73% of Full)

Advanced

OT: On Top of the Tallest Mountain in the World*

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

OT: On Top of the Tallest Mountain in the World*
March 26, 2014 08:55PM
...or, what we were up to while not bopping around in Yosemite: Photosynth

* Okay, this is true only if you start counting from the base, 18,000 feet below sea level, but it's a mountain--higher than any in Yosemite--and there's snow, and lots of telescopes...

Bonus Photosynth: on top the biggest (by volume) mountain in the world

More to come, more to see...
avatar Re: OT: On Top of the Tallest Mountain in the World*
March 26, 2014 10:08PM
Cool photosynths!

In regards to which mountain is the "highest" or "tallest" on earth, here's a nice article explaining why there are three contenders to that title:

http://geology.com/records/highest-mountain-in-the-world.shtml

Re: OT: On Top of the Tallest Mountain in the World*
March 26, 2014 10:25PM
Making the case here for Denali...

If a 4 foot guy is standing on a 3 foot box is he taller than a 6 foot guy?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2014 10:27PM by chicagocwright.
March 26, 2014 11:09PM
Denali has the longest climb from base to summit. Start at 7K and peak at 20K. Everest is a mere 11K climb.

Old Dude
March 27, 2014 12:39AM
mrcondron
Everest is a mere 11K climb.

11K without much O2. No thanks.
March 27, 2014 10:54PM
eeek
mrcondron
Everest is a mere 11K climb.

11K without much O2. No thanks.

The 3-hour traffic jam at the Hilary Step doesn't bring much excitement, either.
March 27, 2014 09:09AM
Very cool 'synths! Thanks for sharing them. It's such a different looking landscape; except for the clouds, snow and telescopes (obviously) I would imagine it would make a good substitute for Mars.
March 27, 2014 09:14AM
I just looked through the photos too, more good stuff! It makes me want to go to Hawaii again. I'm a bit curious about one thing, in the last photo next the the 13,000ft marker, what is the little wire/antenna thingy protruding from the left side of her back pack, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks!
March 27, 2014 12:41PM
JasonS
I'm a bit curious about one thing, in the last photo next the the 13,000ft marker, what is the little wire/antenna thingy protruding from the left side of her back pack, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks!

It's an antenna (a Comet SMA-24, to be exact) for a small 2m/70cm amateur/HAM radio (Yaesu VX-3R). We use these to keep in touch when temporarily separated.

It's an idea that's been spreading a bit (in this case it's the cheaper Baofeng uv-3r):

March 28, 2014 08:14AM
basilbop
JasonS
I'm a bit curious about one thing, in the last photo next the the 13,000ft marker, what is the little wire/antenna thingy protruding from the left side of her back pack, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks!

It's an antenna (a Comet SMA-24, to be exact) for a small 2m/70cm amateur/HAM radio (Yaesu VX-3R). We use these to keep in touch when temporarily separated.

It's an idea that's been spreading a bit (in this case it's the cheaper Baofeng uv-3r):

Cool. Thanks!
March 27, 2014 01:01PM
[deleted]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2014 01:02PM by basilbop.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login