Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (81% of Full)

Advanced

Mono Pass & Mt. Gibbs (photos)

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Mono Pass & Mt. Gibbs (photos)
May 08, 2014 07:11PM
I wasn't planning on going to Yosemite, but high winds on Mt. Shasta and a timely opening of Tioga Pass made a last minute trip happen.

We got an early start on Saturday, encountering snow immediately from the Mono Pass Trailhead. Our first challenge was crossing the Dana Fork

After backtracking upstream we found an easy crossing of a small side creek and then an easy crossing of the main creek. From there, we encountered mixed snow and mud through the forest up to Mono Pass. I was on snowshoes, my friend was not. Since we started early in the day the snowshoes were not necessary.

The pass proper was mostly snow free, but the surrounding peaks still held a good deal of snow, especially on their northern aspects.

We initially set up camp maybe a quarter mile down from Summit Lake behind a large rock outcropping.

The wind picked up quite a bit over the course of the day, so we ended up moving to a more sheltered location.

That night the wind really picked up, but my dome tent made it through the night. Our goal for Sunday was the nearly snow-free south ridge of Mount Gibbs.

The higher we climbed on this loose talus slope, the more exposure we gained to the wind whipping through the pass. By the time we reached 12k feet, I estimate the wind was >50mph. The summit was a mere 700 vertical feet higher, but still a half mile away. Not wanting to get blown off the ridge, we retreated the way we had come, resolving to climb this peak on a nicer day in the future.

Some views from ~12k on Mt. Gibbs' south ridge.

The hike out was uneventful and quick, providing some nice views of the other side of Mt. Gibbs

and Mt. Dana

Thanks for reading!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2014 07:14PM by edg.
Re: Mono Pass & Mt. Gibbs (photos)
May 08, 2014 10:50PM
Thanks for sharing. Nice photos! Wind is one of my least favorite things to encounter while out.
avatar Re: Mono Pass & Mt. Gibbs (photos)
May 09, 2014 03:08PM
Good stuff...thanks!
avatar Re: Mono Pass & Mt. Gibbs (photos)
May 09, 2014 03:30PM
Pretty nice pictures, thanks for posting them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login