Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (79% of Full)

Advanced

First trip report. 7 days in Yosemite

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar First trip report. 7 days in Yosemite
July 22, 2014 07:59PM
This is my first trip report. I could have done a couple others, but always though they were too rookie for you pros. I now wish I had done them, who knows maybe I will, years late.

This week long trip starts with me and a friend leaving Los Angeles area at 2 am. I couldnt wait to get back, so I didnt sleep more then an hour. We were off by 230.
After eating at Jacks in Bishop, and stopping at vons, we made our way up to Saddlebag Lake road, Gardisky trail head to go run up Tioga peak. My other friend was sleeping in his hammock as we parked around 10am Friday the 11th. Up to Tioga/Gardisky we went,

After TIoga peak and Gardisky lake, we made our way over to Gaylor peak.

After Gaylor it was getting late. Off to our campsire to eat and sleep, for tomorrow we wake up at 4am to climb Mt Hoffman,

Atop Hoffman

Always notice the Marmots sitting, gazing off into the distance, just like myself, for minutes even half of an hour they stare. Maybe they just enjoy the surroundings like us, maybe theyre contemplating life.

Next we stroll down to the valley for pizza, and prepare for our night on Sentinel Dome for the Supermoon! We stop at tunnel view and Glacier point to show our friend who had never been. And to sit on the ledge you're no supposed to sit on. No pictures on Sentinel Dome, but there was about 50 people on top when we got there. After the moon rose, they were all gone and we had the dome to ourselves.

As Sunday comes around, weve hardly slept this trip, we decided to take it easy by playing in Tenaya lake, and only hiking Lembert dome that day.

We just hiked down the S/SW face of Lembert to get to the road faster.

Before going back to camp we stop at the tuolumne river

Monday comes around, and were off to Clouds rest, on trail by 5am. There was rain, thunder and lighting, and about 50 people going up to Sunrise HSC that we saw as we were coming down from clouds rest. Thank goodness we started early

Hoffman and Tuolumne Peak

Two stooges

Mr Peak baggers #50 out of 100 in 2014...running a tad behind

Next we take another day off to hang out and do backflips at Rainbow pools, where it was family day. Tuesday. After we go to the valley to shower, and talk to a Scottish man who had just proposed to his fiance on half Dome. He said they were up there 5 minutes because of thunderclouds. Rushed proposal?

Now the last day. We went from Cathedral TH straight to Matthes. Stopped at echo and both cathedrals on the way back. Thank goodness, becuase the rain and thunder was pretty bad near Cathedral on wednesday. Ive been wanting to go to Matthes for a long time. Finally I went.

Love this one

And this one

Saw some nice fresh bear scat. Wonder how close he was. That huge boulder garden that skirts around matthes crest looks like a good place for a bear den

Not many pictures at lower Cathedral, the thunder clouds came in quick

Mount Langley and Cottonwood lakes basin in a couple weeks....cant wait...
avatar Re: First trip report. 7 days in Yosemite
July 22, 2014 08:10PM
Nice report. Some great pics. I'm going to have to check out Matthes. Doing a day trip to Clouds Rest from Sunrise HSC in Sept. How was it?
July 22, 2014 08:19PM
Forgot to mention the mosquitoes were never really bad at all. The worse was actually on Clouds rest trail around 6 am. Even still wasnt that bad, only over a certain stretch. Thunder clouds were near almost every day also. We heard thunder more than half the days of our trip.

Paris92 It was a great hike, my second time. Saw about 50 backpackers heading to Sunrise HSC on my way down. All Children with a group. I didnt go to Sunrise. One of the greatest day hikes in Yosemite IMO. I loved it. That was our hottest day with the most sun, thankfully we started early and had plenty of 50spf. Hard NOT to take 100 pictures on that hike.
July 22, 2014 09:32PM
Good stuff. Now when I say I took 1000 photos on a 3 day trip you know why.
Stay up on the ridges out of the trees.... with views and views and views.
Favorite way to Matthes is straight for Cockscomb. Try that next time.

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: First trip report. 7 days in Yosemite
July 23, 2014 07:48AM
Great report! Thanks.
July 22, 2014 08:24PM
Nothing rookie about this rreport.

Old Dude
July 23, 2014 11:07AM
Yes, you need to post more trip reports.

Excellent work.
July 23, 2014 12:45PM
Loved your writeup and photos!

Will look forward to more!
July 24, 2014 09:14AM
Awesome! You covered some serious ground. I enjoyed the photos. Thanks for posting.
August 04, 2014 02:18PM
Definitely should post more! Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login