Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (81% of Full)

Advanced

Lake Schmidell (Desolation Wilderness) Backpack (pics)

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Lake Schmidell (Desolation Wilderness) Backpack (pics)
August 18, 2014 06:32PM
Last weekend I hiked from Wrights Lake over Rockbound Pass and camped at Lake Schmidell. There were a few pesky gnats in the wooded areas along the (dry) Silver Creek below Maud Lake, but otherwise no bugs. Swimming in Schmidell was a little chilly but fine. The water actually seemed better after the sun went behind the ridge and the winds died down - I think the winds were stirring up colder water from below the thermocline.

Looking towards Rockbound Pass:

Maud(e) Lake. The maps say Maud, apparently the latest naming is Maude...probably the renaming corrects a silly error...

West view from Rockbound Pass:

East view from Rockbound Pass, Lake Doris:

Lake Lois:

A bonsai:

Lake Schmidell:

And, a sunrise view:

avatar Re: Lake Schmidell (Desolation Wilderness) Backpack (pics)
August 18, 2014 08:02PM
Very cool! Those are some nice looking lakes and Schmidell sure is tucked up in a cirque........... I just had to go poke around in Gmap and check out your route. Thanks for the report!
avatar Re: Lake Schmidell (Desolation Wilderness) Backpack (pics)
August 18, 2014 08:18PM
I actually wouldn't choose Maud(e) for camping - water seems a bit stagnant, shallow...not swimmable. It was pretty, though. I'd recommend any of the others (Schmidell, Lois, Doris).

Googling this before I went...I saw people panning "Lake Beauty", about a half mile from the trailhead, for not living up to its name. And in the morning light that seemed to be so. But in the noontime light on the way back...it has beauty.

Re: Lake Schmidell (Desolation Wilderness) Backpack (pics)
August 19, 2014 06:16PM
Nice. Was up on Tells Peak Saturday. Gorgeous views.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login