Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (54% of Full)

Advanced

Turned away from half dome for a second time this year...

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Turned away from half dome for a second time this year...
September 30, 2014 01:35PM
Well I flew back out to Yosemite for a week hoping to finish my half dome climb that I was turned away from because of rain in July and was turned away again because of the fire, what luck...

I got in line at the wilderness center on the 7th at 530 am, got exactly what I wanted, 3 days in LYV and half dome permit. Was planning on hiking Clouds Rest and Diving Board also in those three days. I came out of the wilderness center at noon and there was a strange looking little white cloud next to North Dome, came out of my tent in curry at two and the sky behind Half Dome was filling with odd looking white cloads then at three I realized it was all smoke from the just roused up meadon fire. I was so bummed, second time this year turned away. So I went up to May Lake and camped Monday night then hiked Mt. Hoffmann Tuesday morning. Came back to Curry and hiked dried up Yosemite Falls and Yosemite Point on Thursday. I flew back home on Friday and Half Dome reopened on Saturday...figures.

Oh well, made the best of my trip any way and May Lake area is absolutely beautiful! I would have never made it up that way had I not got turned away from Half Dome so I was shown a new area of the park so all was not bad.
Re: Turned away from half dome for a second time this year...
September 30, 2014 02:51PM
I feel your pain---see my post on trying to hike to Island Lake recently.

But you got a great alternative hike. The view from Hoffman is stunning...and May Lake is a jewel. Plus, the two are related. Hoffman was a surveyor as part of the Whitney party. He named the mountain for himself....and he named the lake for the girl he loved, and eventually married. They are now together for eternity....or at least until the NPS decides to rename them!

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login