Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

TR- Lundy Canyon day hike 11-7-14

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

TR- Lundy Canyon day hike 11-7-14
November 17, 2014 05:32PM
Took a trip up over 108 and out to Lundy Canyon a week or so ago to spend the day hiking the canyon and seeing what we could see. I had never been to lundy canyon or up to 20 lakes basin before but the friend I went with had and he was very impressed with how different the canyon looked with the snow and ice that was around from the storm that had hit there a few days earlier.

After parking and walking through the initial forested area we ran into the first little pond at around 10:30

Farther up we get a nice look up the canyon at the first set of cascades we will be visiting.

Little beaver made pond

First trace of snow.

This was 1 of my favorite things we saw all day. Cascade after cascade of water and ice with a littering of snow around.

Farther up the trail we find the chute that we will be taking to get to Lake helen and the rest of that basin.

Large frozen cascade

Lake Helen

Stopped and ate lunch while taking in the view and soaking up the sun on a fairly chilly afternoon
Shamrock lake

and Steelhead lake

After walking around Steelhead lake a little bit and taking my fair share of pictures it was time to start heading back in order to make it down the chute before dark. We ended up making it back to the truck by about 5:45 in total darkness. After that we grabbed dinner at the Gas station there in Lee Vining and then headed back up and over 108 to go home. All in all it was a good day.

The rest of the pictures I took can be found here. https://plus.google.com/photos/101660308236223534987/albums/6079581992100784449?authkey=CM-Q7NfMm5SKvQE

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2014 05:42PM by randomsteve95370.
Re: TR- Lundy Canyon day hike 11-7-14
November 17, 2014 08:19PM
Awesome pics!
avatar Re: TR- Lundy Canyon day hike 11-7-14
November 18, 2014 06:32AM
Tanks fur posting. Lundy has been on z list for awhile... Very nice

Chick-on is looking at you!
November 18, 2014 10:31AM
Many times I've stood on the tiny bridge at Lake Helen's outlet, looking downstream and thinking "wat it be like?" Definitely on my list also! Thanks for the post.thumbs up
December 20, 2014 08:30AM
Thank you for the great photos.
December 20, 2014 08:49AM
I've got news for you, that first pond pictured is beaver-made also winking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login