Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Dogwood bloom in Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

Advanced

Camping at Clouds Rest

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Camping at Clouds Rest
June 03, 2014 12:06PM
Hi Everyone - Quick Question for you guys

I will be doing a short trip the end of June entering the Sunrise Trailhead to Clouds Rest (where we will camp) and down to the valley the next day - Though I've been to Clouds Rest before, I don't know where there might be some good campsites around there - I was thinking of going off trail 100 ft before the final ascent - There looks like some open spaces on google -

Anyone have any better ideas?

Thanks
avatar Re: Camping at Clouds Rest
June 03, 2014 12:27PM
SoCalCPA
Hi Everyone - Quick Question for you guys

I will be doing a short trip the end of June entering the Sunrise Trailhead to Clouds Rest (where we will camp) and down to the valley the next day - Though I've been to Clouds Rest before, I don't know where there might be some good campsites around there - I was thinking of going off trail 100 ft before the final ascent - There looks like some open spaces on google -

Anyone have any better ideas?

Thanks

Just before the last junction before the final slog up to CR proper there is a lot of open ground. There is water, or should be, about 1/2 mile before this junction. Actually if you turn left at the water a use trail will take you into some campsites.

Old Dude
Re: Camping at Clouds Rest
April 13, 2015 10:28AM
Do you think this will be true in July of this year considering conditions.- I mean about water 1/2 mile before the final junction?
I have a birthday hike planned in the second weekend in July- permits already obtained.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2015 10:30AM by lschaaf.
April 13, 2015 11:04AM
No guarantees, but I'd say you'll be fine--that small creek was flowing decently even late (October) last year.
April 17, 2015 08:50AM
Thank you.
June 03, 2014 09:16PM
Several years ago I entered at Sunrise, past CR, up Half Dome, down to the Merced, wandering around a bit, back up to Cathedral Peak/Lakes and out at Tioga. Spend the first night on the north slope of CR. Dry camp, but spectacular views to the the north and east. Plenty of relatively flat, open space, no people. Next morning broke camp and had breakfast at the top of CR, all alone. Highly recommended.
January 02, 2015 07:16PM
How did your trip go?

I'm planning a similar trip for June 2015, so wanted to scout out some camping site close to Cloud's Rest, since I hear you aren't allowed to camp up top.
March 25, 2015 12:54PM
NOT ALLOWED ??? that's what I heard too, from a female ranger the day after I descended July 2014 during the thunderstorms) by which time it was too late to do anything. but I can definitely recommend the sunset/sunrise from quite close to the summit on the left hand side a few feet from the path 50 feet before the path turns left to descend. allegedly.wink
March 25, 2015 01:08PM
jmai13
I hear you aren't allowed to camp up top.
Permit regs state "No Camping" unless you are 100 feet off trail (maybe that's 200 but whatever...).
Since the Clouds Rest summit bloc is a knife-edge ridge - impossible to get that far off-trail at the very top. Thus illegal.
That being said, there are plenty of nice holes/flat spots at the very summit to throw down a sleeping bag and watch the stars awhile. smoking smiley
March 25, 2015 07:38PM
The trip was excellent - Clouds Rest is loaded with places to camp about 1/2 mile before you get to the top - but that wasn't where we camped - Two guys passed our group on the way up and told us they were going to camp on top - We thought "Why not?" - Mind you I was completely clueless as to the camping forbiddances on top of Clouds Rest at the time except for the obvious one stated in the post that you need to be 100 feet away from the trail - I wasn't thinking - Mea Culpa! - But we had an absolutely awesome time up there that night - The weather was pristine - I was surprised at the light pollution coming from Fresno - Thought we would be far enough away to avoid it - We cowboy camped amidst plenty of places nestled in the rocks and there were several other people up there beside us. The views were spectacular at sunset and sunrise.

The next night I camped at LYV and spoke with a ranger about sleeping on Clouds Rest - He didn't make any mention that it is not allowed to me but instead stated that he really always wanted to do that and he seemed genuinely happy for us - Go figure.

Of Course if we had realized we weren't allowed to do that, we would have found a campsite on the way up - I'm pretty good about following the rules (hardest being packing out TP IMHO)

But I have to say, it was a lifetime experience that we will never forget - 2 of the hikers with us were visiting from Boston and were on their first visit to Yosemite - They had quite the Yosemite experience - They tell me they still talk about it 8 months later.

Won't make it to the park this Summer - I am hiking the southern section of the JMT with my daughter (in sections) It's quite the bear getting exit permits at Whitney Portal - One ranger is telling me my best bet is to come a day early and be part of the 40% who walk in which may be fine for the trailhead but what about the additional exit permit that you need to have now? - I also heard about the exit permit at Donahue Pass when leaving Yosemite - 10 per day - Finished that 1 1/2 years ago so I'm glad I beat the permit hassle on that.
February 08, 2015 01:51PM
April 13, 2015 06:54PM
Isn't there an exception to the 100 foot rule for established campsites?
April 13, 2015 08:08PM
Established campsites per se, no.

Where "terrain permits no other options", and given an established campsite, the 2014 Supervisor's Compendium states:

Within 100 feet of a trail, flowing stream, river or any body of water, unless designated,
and as follows: Camping is permitted within 100 feet of a stream, trail or body of water provided that a well-established campsite exists and terrain permits no other options. In no case will camping be permitted within 25 feet of a stream, trail or body of water.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login