Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waning Gibbous (100% of Full)

Advanced

Carson River basin wildflower day trip

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Carson River basin wildflower day trip
July 21, 2015 10:32AM
I drove up to the Carson Pass region Friday evening July 17 then from sunrise hiked offtrail exploring unfamiliar landscapes for 7.5 hours Saturday morning under rather cloudy skies before returning home early afternoon back to the SF Bay Area. Was in the Carson River drainage between 8.5k and 9.5k that I expected would be past the wildflower peak this year due to the drought. I've been hiking the Mokelumne Lake trail for years during July because its wildflower displays are among the best in the Sierra given the rich volcanic geology soils. But there are other just as impressive areas offtrail in that region if one seeks out similar elevations and exposures.

Conditions looked like early August on a normal year with most lupine drying brown gone to seed and usual later blooming species like corn lily and tower larkspur near the end of their bloom. Generally a lot of leafy yellows and leaves with drying brown spots instead of fresh greens I prefer in landscapes. In any case there were lots of species and lots of flowers including a few below that tend to bloom later. And all the pennyroyal were dominating scents. Would have preferred a visit early July but then I was out on a 9-day backpack down south in the John Muir Wilderness. Many species bloom during the same brief period in the range and a wildflower enthusiast can only be at one place at a time each year.

On below links, this volcanic geology landscape shows a meadow pond and lots of wildflowers with verga falling in the distance. The tall white flowers are corn lily which tend to bloom later. The red hued are Indian paintbrush, yellows hued streamside arnica or arrowhead senicio, magenta hued rock fringe. Also some blue hued Sierra penstemon and blue flax. Bottom center vertical slice is a crimson columbine and above it whitish violet hued pennyroyal. Right slice bottom are some western aster and a bit above little elephant's head. A long list of other species less visible across the willow lined pond in the meadow and in the near local area.

The below links to a more striking image with rock fringe, epilobium cordatum, streamside arnica, arnica amplexicaulis, and (mountain) pennyroyal, monardella odoritissima. The rock fringe is another later blooming species that I rambled about for into promising terrain and eventually hit this jackpot. A larger patch than I'd ever come across. That same area had quite a bit of already gone to seed Sierra primrose so in the future will visit earlier when some of both deep magenta species may be blooming together.

Close-up image of rock fringe, using 10 focus stack frames.

David
http://www.davidsenesac.com/Summer_2015/summer_2015-1.html

http://www.davidsenesac.com

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2015 10:43AM by DavidSenesac.
avatar Re: Carson River basin wildflower day trip
July 21, 2015 12:37PM
Thanks for posting the photos. Looks like the diffused lighting due to the mostly cloudy conditions really helped bring out the color of the flowers (and not have them get washed out by bright sunlight).

Re: Carson River basin wildflower day trip
July 21, 2015 01:41PM
Beautiful photos! And I bet you didn't see all that many people there, either....one of our secret spots.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
avatar Re: Carson River basin wildflower day trip
July 21, 2015 04:05PM
Nice.

On the more heavily used Round Top side of the crest I saw very nice flowers in a section between Frog Lake and Winnemucca, and beyond Round Top, but the "landscape of flowers" thing is missing due to the dry year.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login