Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Tuolumne Campground

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Tuolumne Campground
August 17, 2015 09:27AM
I am going to be backpacking through Yosemite for the first time in early October. I am starting in Tuolumne Meadows and taking the John Muir trail to LYV. My reservation for the backpacking trip starts Sept 29th, but I was hoping to camp at the Tuolumne Campground on the 28th. I just noticed the historical campground closing is around that date. Any advice on what to do if the campground is closed? Am I still able to camp the night before if I have a wilderness permit? Thanks in advance.
Re: Tuolumne Campground
August 17, 2015 11:04AM
Drive east on 120 out of the park. One of the many campgrounds on the other side of Tioga Pass will almost certainly be open.
Re: Tuolumne Campground
August 17, 2015 12:02PM
I'm taking Yarts into the valley from Fresno so I will be on foot. Maybe I can hitchhike to Porcupine flats and stay there on the 4th and then try to find another ride to Tuolumne Meadows early on the 5th to start trip?
August 17, 2015 06:49PM
kembo05
I am going to be backpacking through Yosemite for the first time in early October. I am starting in Tuolumne Meadows and taking the John Muir trail to LYV. My reservation for the backpacking trip starts Sept 29th, but I was hoping to camp at the Tuolumne Campground on the 28th. I just noticed the historical campground closing is around that date. Any advice on what to do if the campground is closed? Am I still able to camp the night before if I have a wilderness permit? Thanks in advance.

When you pick up your permit on the 28th ask for a new permit that is issued on the 28th, then start your hike and camp at a legal spot. Since it is a Monday you should have no trouble.

Old Dude
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login