Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (86% of Full)

Advanced

Matthes Lake - via Budd Lake or Lower Cathedral Lake?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Matthes Lake - via Budd Lake or Lower Cathedral Lake?
September 24, 2015 02:22PM
Wondering what's the experts' take on doing a two day one night trip to Matthes lake via Budd lake or Cathedral lake or should I go in from Cathedral and return via Budd lake. I have been to Cathedral a couple of times and have yet to venture to Echo /Matthes.

Secondly, does anyone know the quota for Budd Lake TH? I got two different #s from the two rangers today and debating whether a group size of 6 can head in via Cathedral lake TH and still camp at Matthes lake.

Thanks a lot!
avatar Re: Matthes Lake - via Budd Lake or Lower Cathedral Lake?
September 24, 2015 04:23PM
Simply from an elevation gain standpoint I would go to Cathedral Lake first. Up over Cathedral Pass at 9700 and circle past Echo Lake and over to Matthes.

If you go up past Budd and over to Matthes between Echo Peaks and the Cockscomb you have to climb about 1000 feet higher. Save that for the second day when your pack is lighter.
September 25, 2015 06:19AM
That's funny. wth couldn't you camp at anywhere beyond Cathedral with a Cathedral permit?
Sheesh...

Anywho. I thought the quota was 6 total. But then again I thought the quota was 6 total for
Nelson.. and... we got 2 permits for 2 each... and then saw a group of 4 going to Nelson
that day... (purty sure dat 8... but ... smiling smiley )

I have no idea what the other 5 have done... so... if they haven't... personally I would
recommend take them up the "Fisherman's Trail" to Lower Cathedral ...
zippy do up to Upper Cath... over Cath Pass... down and around to Matthes via Echo.

Unfortunately imo... these are becoming trails... b/c people doing xcountry are not
spreading out. Most are due to Matthes Crest climbers... so ... it's not that huge of
a deal... but... please... spread out a bit with a group that size xcountry.
And it really pains me to see new fire rings and places like Echo and Matthes Lakes.
There are none allowed at Nelson or Reymann... so it just doesn't make sense...

If you want to try to be most LNT... then in way mentioned above.. and then go out
vi Nelson trail... (it's a trail... not really xcountry once you get to Echo Creek area)
Getting your group on the north side of Matthes Crest... now that is what I
personally would do... and then down over to Budd or... around Cockscomb
and down... (my personal favorite)

Your elevation gain and angle of descent may vary

Have fun

(o... if I was taking Bearpoof... I would go... Lower Cath->Medlicott->Dome Lakes->Mariuolumne->Lower Cath->Echo Peak->10,450->Columbia Finger->Dolly Domes->Echo Lake->Matthes Crest->Matthes Lake) (and include as much side-hilling as I possibly could)

Chick-on is looking at you!
September 25, 2015 06:20AM
O... and that Bearpoof route... that's day 1... (payback is a B... )
smiling smiley

Have fun!

Re: Matthes Lake - via Budd Lake or Lower Cathedral Lake?
September 25, 2015 07:16AM
Thanks Bearproof and Chick-on! That's great information and will follow the easier route and head back via Budd lakesmiling smiley.

I am all about LNT as well as using only the existing fire rings and camping on bare ground or rocks. Any suggestion for camping spots around Matthes Lake? I am debating between the Southwest side or the Northeast side.
September 29, 2015 12:56PM
Thanks for the great tips. We might start off via Budd creek if we get the permits as I am keen to soak-in the birds eye view as we approach the Budds lake. Just checked with the ranger about the fire restrictions and he mentioned that fire is allowed between 6000'and 9,600'. He did say that Echo lake is the only lake out there where fire is allowed (not at Matthes lake) and I just checked that Matthes lake is at 9,623' :-|....I guess I will follow the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy winking smiley
September 30, 2015 08:00AM
nwhkr
Thanks for the great tips. We might start off via Budd creek if we get the permits as I am keen to soak-in the birds eye view as we approach the Budds lake. Just checked with the ranger about the fire restrictions and he mentioned that fire is allowed between 6000'and 9,600'. He did say that Echo lake is the only lake out there where fire is allowed (not at Matthes lake) and I just checked that Matthes lake is at 9,623' :-|....I guess I will follow the "Don't ask, don't tell" policy winking smiley

I will just state it very simply...

Please do not have a fire at Echo or Matthes Lakes. Please. Please.
Do NOT construct new fire ring. Learn to enjoy the wilderness without
a fire. Bring warm clothes.. Wear them. Leave NO TRACE.

It's a big problem. Just ridiculous. Go back so many times.. new fire ring.
Pretty sad. Depressing. It's like people really don't care about anyone
but themselves.

Have fun.. but please...
I beg of thee... learn and teach to enjoy without a campfire.

It can be done... seriously... I go 100+ days ... for years and years ...
and last had a fire was Lake Eleanor 10+ years ago... when finally
just said... this is just plain stupid. why?

Anyway... I'll get off the soap box... and ... like so many times in past...
be ready to be flamed.

September 30, 2015 09:24AM
I was spitting mad this weekend.

Matthes had a big fire ring and piled up wood. It's ABOVE the legal campfire zone. No way to say you didn't know, the lake level is on the maps!

Thank you, Chick-on, for saying all of the above, I've been so mad at all the fire rings we have been tripping over. It's made me not want to share or encourage, because what if someone who doesn't respect the land goes out because of something *I* said... And makes a scar. So rude, selfish.... Ugh... I could rant a long time.
October 02, 2015 05:09PM
That's a fair point guys. I thought your earlier comment was mainly about using the existing fire rings (which is a given). We can certainly live without fire.
October 15, 2015 06:22PM
chick-on
Please do not have a fire at Echo or Matthes Lakes. Please. Please.
Do NOT construct new fire ring.

Anyway... I'll get off the soap box... and ... like so many times in past...
be ready to be flamed.

No flames or rainsmiling smiley. Had a funtastic trip, hearty thanks to Chick-on, Bearproof, JKW, and others on this forum as I combed through a few different sites and TRs.

Our group of five camped at Hodgdon on Friday night and got to TM wilderness center bright and early to be 7th person/group in the line. Cathedral and Sunrise TH quota was already picked up on Friday and I ended up suggesting the two climbers ahead of me to take the BC route. Luckily we got the permits for Elizabeth and managed our way to Matthes even though I hadn't done my homework for that route. The other fours in the group had no clue and had not done any reading of trails/area/map. Between the paper map and phone app, it was a simple traverse except for one section at the end of the Echo creek where we crossed the ridge instead of going further down south for an easier traverse. Three people in the group were sketched out..

We were the only group by the lake and the trip was every bit worth it [Updated: No fires]. Decided to take an easy way out on Sunday via Echo lake and JMT as a couple of people in the group were vary of any steep sections.

Little low on spirits after some calss 2 scramble to the top of the ridge

Sunrise around 7ish

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2015 06:49PM by nwhkr.
September 25, 2015 07:59AM
I only recall camp spots on the southeast and southwest sides of the lake, but check it all out...its not a big lake. And there might be somebody else there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2015 08:01AM by Bearproof.
September 25, 2015 08:02AM
chick-on
O... and that Bearpoof route... that's day 1... (payback is a B... )
smiling smiley

Have fun!

Oh deer, you must be trying to get me all pooped out Head roll
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login