Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Bridalveil Falls, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (72% of Full)

Advanced

CAMPGROUND ROAD PAVING

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

CAMPGROUND ROAD PAVING
May 05, 2016 10:34AM
FYI, just read this

The following campgrounds will be closed for road resurfacing:

Upper Pines: June 21
Lower Pines: June 20
North Pines June 22

WOW about time, some of those roads within the campgrounds were horrible,
avatar Re: CAMPGROUND ROAD PAVING
May 05, 2016 12:02PM
MY HAPPY PLACE

If you really want a bad road, try Yosemite Creek Campground.
Re: CAMPGROUND ROAD PAVING
May 06, 2016 08:34AM
You almost need a 4WD to get down to YCCG. Thats probably good, it keeps the numbers down. Yep, the campground roads are in poor shape. I just don't see how the paving crew can get the entire Upper Pines CG done in a day?

MY HAPPY PLACE
FYI, just read this

The following campgrounds will be closed for road resurfacing:

Upper Pines: June 21
Lower Pines: June 20
North Pines June 22

May 06, 2016 11:04AM
cmon4day
You almost need a 4WD to get down to YCCG.

Not even close. It's rough but 2WD is fine. Even a Prius could do that road. The biggest problem I've had is getting behind a Jeep SUV with a driver that though anything over zero MPH was too fast for every tiny bump.

Thats probably good, it keeps the numbers down.

It does, but I've seen some large RVs there. Really happy I didn't meet them on the road.
May 06, 2016 02:35PM
eeek
cmon4day
You almost need a 4WD to get down to YCCG.

Not even close. It's rough but 2WD is fine. Even a Prius could do that road. The biggest problem I've had is getting behind a Jeep SUV with a driver that though anything over zero MPH was too fast for every tiny bump.

Yeah... I've ran into that too. It appears like they're trying to simulate real cross-country travel where Jeeps do go over rocks extremely slowly. But it's extremely frustrating when SUV drivers, especially those driving real 4X4 Jeeps, drive that way on rough (but very passible) roads like Old Tioga Road to the Yosemite Creek Campground.

Thats probably good, it keeps the numbers down.

It does, but I've seen some large RVs there. Really happy I didn't meet them on the road.

On Yosemite's campground web pages and in the Yosemite Guide (that they pass out at the entrances), it states that RVs and Trailers are NOT recommended at the Yosemite Creek Campground. I'm a bit surprised they don't just outright ban and prohibit RVs and trailers that exceed a certain length to use that campground. But as of now, they can (though it's not recommended).

Leave No Trace
May 06, 2016 03:00PM
They should go to a full ban. Ran into an old couple down there that had believed a guide book and drove a big RV to the campground. They would have turned around but couldn't of course.
Re: CAMPGROUND ROAD PAVING
May 17, 2016 05:45PM
Can't be too much rougher than the right lane from the bottom of the grapevine on 99 to Fresno. (and reverse)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login