Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (90% of Full)

Advanced

Lundy canyon?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Lundy canyon?
May 26, 2016 09:36PM
I love beavers and have read that Lundy Canyon has beavers. So I'd like to visit it. Plus I love hiking out of Saddlebag lake and all those lakes beyond (we've hiked to the area that leads to Lundy Canyon).

Anyway, the question is, will it be full of snow in less than two weeks? We're heading from Northern CA to Zion area and I thought, maybe we can spend one night near Lee Vining and do the hike, starting from the Lee Vining side. But wondering if it's too early in the season.

I can call some ranger station tomorrow, but thought some folks here may have an idea.

Also, if you've done the hike, is it doable with a 12 year old?
Re: Lundy canyon?
May 27, 2016 12:11PM
Still heaps of snow at 10,500 and above...Saddlebag still covered as of 2 days ago; road up still snow covered too.
Pretty good snow for walking in the AM, not so much afternoons.
As for your proposed hike...a long ways to slog if gate is still closed at 120.Once backside Saddlebag, going over the pass is relatively easy until the steep waterfall section - a little dicey there... a few tricky sections going down.
As for doable by a 12 year old...depends but...best guess - sketchy.
May 27, 2016 02:12PM
I would expect a lot of snow back by Lake Helen.
Here is the waterfall from a couple years ago.

Here is a beaver dam at Lundy:

May 27, 2016 02:57PM
Thanks for the responses. Inyo's main # does not answer (tried many times today). Mono lake visitor center said there is snow, but the beavers are in the lower elevation areas, which should be clear, so maybe we can make it there and see the beaver dams? Or maybe I should book myself a fall trip there.

Also, thanks for the photo (waterfall sides look steep) and comment re: 12 year old. I will try it myself before taking my family. I took my son to Killebrew Canyon in Heavenly this past year and it was a terrible experience. He skied down no problem, but getting out of Killebrew you follow the Tahoe Rim Trail, which was way too scary for both of us. We made it, but I aged a few years, courtesy of that little trek.
May 30, 2016 05:50PM
If the gate is open and you can drive to Lundy Lake you should be able to take a nice day hike. Not all the way to Helen Lake,
but I remember the beaver ponds only being a couple of miles up the trail

This photo is above the beaver ponds but below the lakes. There's also an old cabin back there just beyond the beaver ponds,
which might be interesting to a 12 year old.

[/img]
May 31, 2016 12:31AM
Saddlebag Lake area yesterday
June 02, 2016 07:43AM
Thanks. Where is the photo of saddle bag lake area yesterday? I can't see it. ;-)

Also, how were the mosquitoes? are they out yet?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2016 05:52PM by recycling1991.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login