Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (82% of Full)

JanSport

Advanced

Granite Park

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

July 18, 2016 03:58PM
Just got back from a couple nights at Pine Creek.
Did a little warm up hike to Bull Lake at Bishop.

My girlfriend had done a lot of day hikes, but this would be her first backpacking trip. I had wondered if 3000 foot elevation gain on the first day would be a bit much for a first trip. Pine Creek permit availability was good, and I had wanted to go to Granite Park for a while, so Pine creek it was. Heading up Pine Creek was as steep as I remembered from a day hike to Pine Lake several years ago.
This nice cascade crosses the trail about 1.5 miles in:

More views of Pine Creek on the way up:

3000 foot elevation gain was a bit much for her first day, so we camped at Upper Pine Lake, instead of Honeymoon Lake.

Headed towards Honeymoon Lake after re-hydrating some scrambled eggs. Mosquitoes were horrific above Upper Pine Lake, where three streams converge. The kind of mosquitoes where you look down at your pant legs, and see a hundred mosquitoes on them. Long sleeves, long pants, gloves and a head net were life savers. We headed up towards Granite Park. The trail was better than expected. You had to look for the trail every once in a while, but it was fairly easy to follow. No mosquitoes at Granite Park.
Heading to Granite Park:

Headed back to Honeymoon Lake, after exploring Granite Park for awhile.
Got up early the next morning for spectacular views of Honeymoon Lake:

Headed back down. Always great to get back to the car, and remember to appreciate the conveniences of civilization.
We stopped at the Eastern California Museum in Independence:
http://www.inyocounty.us/ecmsite/
Make sure to turn on the switch on the mountain goat diorama for a fun surprise.

Got the idea of stopping at the museum, after seeing a picture of the Norman Clyde exhibit on wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Clyde
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login