Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Full

Advanced

Hiking Boot durability?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Hiking Boot durability?
October 14, 2016 07:21AM
Some of the recent equipment-related threads have me thinking that I can't recall ever seeing much discussion of people's experiences with footwear. I know that the choice of a hiking boot is highly personal but I'm curious about what people consider to be a typical lifetime of a boot (probably better to estimate this in miles rather than time since some folks on this board hike more in a month than many of us do in a year). When I first started hiking many years ago, I bought the more "consumer" brands (Timberline, Land's End, etc.). These were typically very comfortable right out of the box but tended to wear out pretty quickly (especially when spending a lot of time on granite or other rock surfaces). I've got a pair of Merrill half-heights that I use for shorter day-hikes out here in the east (they're comfy now but they took a VERY long time to break in) and a pair of Oboz that I've yet to fully break in but my favorites are a long-discontinued model of Scarpa's that took a little bit of getting used to but which I quickly grew to love. The soles are still in pretty good shape (although I think they may be just starting to lose some of their grip) but a year or so back the seams on the uppers started to loosen up with the expected effect on the once-quite-good water resistance.

FWIW, since we only get to do "serious" hiking on our vacations, I probably put about 200-300 miles a year on the Scarpa's (can't recall how long I've had them without checking my receipts log) so I'm probably approaching the 1000-mile mark. I'm guessing that that's pretty good, durability-wise but, for both sentimental reasons and the fact that Scarpa doesn't seem to make a shoe quite like this one anymore, I'm wondering if it's worth finding a shoe-repair store to tighten up the stitching on these.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login