Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (80% of Full)

Advanced

Sunrise Trailhead to Clouds Rest to Cathedral Lakes Trailhead

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar Sunrise Trailhead to Clouds Rest to Cathedral Lakes Trailhead
December 14, 2016 08:11AM
Hi. I'm planning on backpacking this June (or whenever Tioga Road opens) up to clouds rest, starting out from tenaya lake (sunrise trailhead). After summiting clouds rest, trekking back and camping below it. We'd like to spend the next day hiking back to the Tioga Road by a different route, cutting over towards cathedral pass and cathedral lakes, eventually ending at the cathedral lakes trailhead. I've heard/read conflicting info about doing this Bc it involves using the john muir trail from a different starting trailhead. Will this be an issue for us?
avatar Re: Sunrise Trailhead to Clouds Rest to Cathedral Lakes Trailhead
December 14, 2016 08:39AM
Main question is would be using cathedral lakes as an exit trailhead be ok if we are starting out from sunrise lakes trailhead. On our way out we don't plan on camping overnight near Cathedral Lakes or along the John Muir trail, just hiking out that way our second day after camping near clouds rest.
December 14, 2016 11:44AM
There is absolutely no issue with this.

The only issue with JMT is if you exit the park via Donahue Pass. You're not doing that...
so no problem with that exit TH.. and you can camp at Cathedral Lakes the 2nd night if you want.

Good luck getting Sunrise TH permit though. Quota is very low.

Have fun!

Chick-on is looking at you!
December 15, 2016 09:24AM
Thank you, that clears it up more. fingers crossed that going early week opposed to weekend might help with procuring permits!
December 16, 2016 07:44AM
That's a great route...you will have fun!
As you get closer to the trip be sure to check in to the forum regarding trail conditions. The first thing you will encounter is the crossing of Tenaya Creek, where you may have to wade across the very cold stream. The annual posts about this crossing are always a fun read!
January 12, 2017 08:42AM
I'll be certain to post pictues and report on this crossing, set for the first week of June. We're very excited, having gotten permits for the Sunrise Lakes trailhead, in addition to Happy Isles to Sunrise/Merced, with 2 days in between to recover. I'd like to camp at Lake Matthes on our second night of our Tenaya Lake-Clouds Rest-Matthes Crest-Cathedral Lakes trek. I know that people camp at Echo Lake and Matthes Lake, but we're not sure about the elevation at Matthes as far as having a campfire is concerned, I know it's right on the cusp of 9600'. Do you know if fires are ok there?
January 12, 2017 10:02AM
Not ok. Matthes is 9623. There are no fire rings. As there should not be.

Nelson Lake, which is nearby, is explicitly permitted prohibited from having fires at too.

There shouldn't be any at Echo either. Sorry. (ok, I'm really not sorry)
And, yeah, there are no campfires allowed at Upper or Lower Cathedral.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2017 01:09PM by chick-on.
January 12, 2017 10:40AM
No problem at all. We'll proceed with that knowledge in mind and jetboils in pack.
January 12, 2017 12:00PM
chick-on
Not ok. Matthes is 9623. There are no fire rings. As there should not be.

Nelson Lake, which is nearby, is explicitly permitted from having fires at too.

You mean prohibited, right? Nelson is at 9,605.
January 12, 2017 01:08PM
Doh! Yes... I mean prohibited!

If you get an overnight Nelson permit... It says right on it... No Fires...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login