Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Half Dome from the Four Mile Trail to Glacier Point, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

June or July

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

June or July
February 07, 2017 01:13PM
Obviously, no one knows how the spring weather will play out, but considering the current snow-pack I'm thinking my June 20th permit from Tuolumne Meadows may come with complications. I went ahead and secured permits for mid-July as well just in case. I'm seeing a few benefits to waiting until July such as the availability of Yarts during the weekdays (we start out on a Tuesday) and the probability of Tioga Rd being open. However, I would really prefer not to be there with hoards of other people...and mosquitoes...
As of now, we plan to take Cathedral Lakes to Sunrise Lakes, camp, go up Clouds Rest, hike to the Half Dome junction, camp, and head down through the Valley. I know the Valley will be crowded no matter what, but I can't take my son to Yosemite without showing him the Valley.
June or July???
February 07, 2017 02:09PM
At this pt. July...

Wouldn't be surprised Tioga not even open in June 20.
If snowpack similar to 2011 ... then expect conditions such as this:
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/103089501068510688008/album/AF1QipOrdq4kQLXyvbaj7QLxMX83HRABx7tH_1XLTvft
(I started this hike a day or two before the road opened)

(i.e. Cathedral Lakes frozen ova still)

Here's Tioga opening / closing and snowpack for reference:
https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tiogaopen.htm

Chick-on is looking at you!
Re: June or July
February 07, 2017 02:33PM
Wow, those pictures sure are beautiful, but looks like I would need a kayak and a snowmobile to make it through! Good, so I am relieved I was able to get those July permits. I'm guessing it's still going to be pretty wet and sloshy even then, but a little moisture will be good for our desert skin! Thanks for the links!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login