Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Full

Advanced

May 3-May 9 Florida visitors to Yosemite

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

May 3-May 9 Florida visitors to Yosemite
April 18, 2017 07:11PM
Hi! Been reading this forum for weeks now. Thanks for all the great info. So excited to come to Cali and Yosemite in 2 weeks! We've hiked in the Rockies and Smokies but never in the Sierras. We were hoping for warmth but looking like it's going to be super chilly and full of snow. Do you agree? Am I reading the forecast right? We don't have ANY snow gear and didn't plan to buy or borrow any for this trip. Had hopes for glacier point and half dome. Are there other hiking opportunities for thin skinned/thin blooded Floridians? we do know how to layer clothes but we are more into warm(ish) day hikes. We will be coming in the south entrance. Any other suggestions for us? Two adults. Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2017 07:11PM by Onesaltytwo.
Re: May 3-May 9 Florida visitors to Yosemite
April 18, 2017 08:39PM
Forecasts that are more than 7-10 days out are generally not too reliable--especially since we haven't shifted into the summer/dry pattern yet. There will be a lot of snow up high, but Yosemite Valley itself should be free of significant snow up to about the valley rim, depending on sun exposure. The temperature could be anywhere from chilly to quite warm: a month ago we had three trips that were all quite temperate, but the past few weekends were chilly.

As for Glacier Point: the road may be open, but don't be disappointed if it is still closed and the trails are still under several feet of snow.

As for Half Dome: I really doubt the cables will be up in 2 weeks, so I think you'll need to pass on that one.

There's still plenty to do in the valley. The Vernal/Nevada Falls trails (Mist/JMT) and Yosemite Falls trail should be on the top of your list, but do expect some packed snow and ice on these trails. The Four Mile Trail to Union Point (about 3/5ths of the way up) is also nice, as is the Snow Creek trail as far up as you feel like. There's also nothing wrong with the valley trails, including some or all of the Valley Loop trail, especially the Mirror Lake/Tenaya Canyon loop. If you want a bit of a break from the inevitable crowds the western valley loop trail (Yosemite Lodge/Camp 4 to the Pohono Bridge and back via Bridalveil Fall) is a nice walk.

Mariposa Grove is closed, and the 120 closure makes the Merced and Tuolumne Groves not worth the drive, but... there are 25 sequoias in the valley you can "boop"--if you can find them. And no, I'm not telling--these trees aren't not generally outstanding, but wandering around anywhere and everywhere in Yosemite Valley when the waterfalls are all going strong is outstanding--and highly recommended.

Have a great trip and be sure to let us all know how it went--with lots of pictures!

Okay, one hint: Boop!
avatar Re: May 3-May 9 Florida visitors to Yosemite
April 20, 2017 06:34PM
I am going to be there May 5-7 and the current long term weather report looks pretty good. It is a challenge this year with the record or near record snowfall that we have had to plan the hikes. But there are opportunities for sure. Some general notes:

1. The north side of the Valley gets all the sun and the hikes along there should be pretty much snow free, eg Yosemite Falls, Snow Creek Trail, and the (abandoned) Big Oak Flat Road.
2. Conversely, the south (shady) side trails will be tough out of the Valley, eg. the 4 mile Trail.
3. Vernal and Nevada Falls should definitely be on your list. Even if it is a nice, warm day, bring layers and a raincoat. You will get soaked by very cold waterfall spray!
4. If it does warm up and the snow starts melting quickly, there will be a LOT of water. Bring extra socks and waterproof shoes. Expect to get wet. Be careful!
5. Keep fingers crossed that the Glacier Point Road is open.

PM me if you want...I will be watching conditions closely as I get closer to my trip and might have some more suggestions for you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login