Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Another proposal question ...

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Another proposal question ...
April 20, 2017 10:31AM
If you were going to be in Yosemite in mid May and wanted to pop the big question to a special lady, where would you do it? There was a turnout along 120 that she was really digging, so I was thinking about hiking down from there. But, I don't know if I could find it again, and 120 is closed anyway. Backstory: we spent two days there last May and we both had a strong feeling (although we didn't talk about it at the time) that our relationship was the real deal. And we both had this crazy feeling of belonging there and peace and clarity and all kinds of other good stuff (which I imagine happens to everybody).

So, I would like to find a place a little off the beaten path, where we will have a chance of being alone. Well, not completely alone, I just don't want a ton of people around. Last year, we only had two days and we stayed outside the park (this year we have four and we're staying in the valley), so we did Glacier and Washburn points, hiked up Sentinel Dome, rode bikes around the valley, and watched El Cap climbers from the meadow.

I've been devouring posts on this site and I'm suffering from information overload. We had planned to do the Mist Trail and Four mile trail (probably closed / snow). We're moderate day hikers not too interested in crampons. I'm guessing Glacier Point Road will be open (I've been watching the progress), but the trails from there will be too snowy. I have a couple of ideas from this forum, but would appreciate any input:

1. Illilouette Ridge - too much snow? Will a GPS and a map and compass class be sufficient to navigate?
2. Happy Isles to North Pines campground
3. Artist Point
4. Mirror Lake, maybe up snow creek trail a little
5. Columbia Rock

Thanks in advance for the help!
avatar Re: Another proposal question ...
April 20, 2017 11:44AM
Columbia Rock. Bit of a climb, great spot, not too many people, no snow even now, privacy will come and go.

Snow Creek trail OK.

Old Dude
Re: Another proposal question ...
April 20, 2017 01:37PM
There is also a turnoff from the Yosemite Falls trail just below Columbia Point. You should have far less visitors here, it is in a clearing kind of around the corner of some bushes (my wife nursed our 2 month old here). It has great views here . I am familiar, because it is here that my most expensive camera lens at the time rolled out of my pocket, down the slope, and over...the....edge sad smiley

Lat: 37.74624
Lon: -119.60286
April 20, 2017 01:36PM
Inspiration Point -- it's a short hike (all uphill going; all downhill returning). The view is largely the same as from the Tunnel View but from a higher angle. You won't have much company, likely. I enjoy it at dusk. It's a nicer view than Artist Point (which really isn't a point, anyhow), although a steeper/longer climb.

Another, although probably less private option, is Sentinel Dome. Don't know if GP Road will be open though. The old parking loop access road from the GP Road to the base of the dome should be mostly free of snow, I would think, and the dome itself will be clear. Go at dusk and stay for sunset.

Rainbow View is another option -- definitely should be private, although the view isn't quite as spectacular as the first two I mentioned (it's still great). Also depends on how comfortable you are route-finding over the rockslides that have covered the switchbacks on the trail (old road). This one is daytime only.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2017 01:38PM by Rob65.
April 20, 2017 01:45PM
I proposed at the top of Upper Yosemite Falls 3 years ago next week. I think there were 2 other people there, but I waited til they left the railing viewing area.
I was more nervous of dropping the ring over the falls than her saying yes.
Luckily, both worked out in my favor.
On the way back down, we met a lady that told us about Oh My Gosh Point, and got to see that jewel of an area.
6 months later, we spent our honeymoon camping in Upper Pines and hiked up to Yosemite Point. Sadly, Yosemite Falls was more like Yosemite Cliffs.
It's a memory that we always talk about every time we visit.
Best of luck to you!
April 20, 2017 03:42PM
Yosemite Point!
April 20, 2017 03:49PM
(conditions permitting)

Sierra Point-If she can make it to that place, you've got a keeper.
April 20, 2017 05:21PM
I might be in the same boat. I'm shopping for a place for the big ask in mid-June.

I would suggest Panorama Point. Take the one-way bus up to Glacier Point (or you can drive up there and make the trail round trip instead of walking one-way to the valley - assuming you are staying there) and take the Panorama trail.

After you pass Illilouette Falls the crowds will thin out significantly. Panorama Point isn't marked (so you likely won't have any guests).

http://www.yosemitehikes.com/glacier-point-road/panorama-trail/gallery-panorama-point.htm

Don't quote me but I think it's roughly here: 37.720067, -119.553599

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2017 05:26PM by drh177.
April 20, 2017 06:23PM
Sierra Point would be awesome, but the approx.. 1500 ft climb and route finding over an abandoned trail make it iffy. On the other hand, the Glacier Point Road might be open...that would be spectacular but perhaps not exactly "off the beaten path".

My vote would be for the Old Big Oak Flat Road which starts just west of El Cap. If you don't know it, its an abandoned road, so it is a gentle grade uphill. Yes, there will probably be a downed tree or two and there is a minor washout area early on (well before the new one farther up at rockslides) but in about a 25 minute walk you can get to a really nice spot with a view of, well, uh...Bridalveil Falls. Seems appropriate. I did this "hike" with a group of neighbors a few years back, none of whom are particularly into hiking. We all brought chairs and snacks and a bottle of wine or three and just sat and enjoyed the view, all by ourselves, up above the Valley. You will get to a spot in the old road which is about 10 feet wide, flat and paved...set out your chairs and enjoy the view, all by yourselves!

April 20, 2017 10:14PM
FYI for the OP, the Old Big Oak Flat Road mentioned by Bearproof is the same trail as the one I mentioned to Rainbow View. Rainbow View is farther up and requires negotiating through the area where rockslides have covered the old road. It's a similar view to the one in Bearproof's photo, but just higher up on the north wall of the Valley. There's a metal railing left there from when this was the main road into the Valley from the Stockton area. As Bearproof notes, you don't need to go all the way to Rainbow View in order to get some nice views of Bridalveil Falls.
April 21, 2017 03:59AM
You really need to read this if
considering Rainbow View:
http://yosemitenews.info/forum/read.php?17,88235
April 21, 2017 10:50AM
The entire road from Tamarack Flat to the Valley floor is probably my favorite hike in the park -- always will be, I suppose.
April 20, 2017 10:04PM
If Glacier Point road is opened I would do Taft Point or the top of Sentinel Dome at sunset. Good Luck.
April 21, 2017 06:34AM
Wow, thank you all so much for the recommendations! And congratulations to you guys that proposed or are proposing to propose there. I'm guessing a lot of that goes on there. I think we'll go to Columbia Rock (and spur trail), Big Oak Flat Road (the non rockfall portion), and we'll be at Sentinel Dome (road willing) and the Mist Trail. I'll have the ring with me on all our hikes and strike when the moment seems right. Can't thank you all enough, can't wait. 23 days.
April 21, 2017 07:50AM
I'm waiting for chicagocwright to chime in "the Half Dome Curry Village Pizza Patio"...smiling smiley
April 21, 2017 02:46PM
PineCone
I'm waiting for chicagocwright to chime in "the Half Dome Curry Village Pizza Patio"...smiling smiley

This one?

With this specialty?

August 16, 2017 05:19AM
Sorry to keep you all hanging so long smiling smiley. Things went great, although not as expected, which was expected (so I guess they did kind of go as expected).

We got into the park early. I thought about doing it at the little side tunnel going to tunnel view, but there wasn't a lot of space. We decided to do the Mist Trail that first day. It looked like we had one good day of weather, so it was going to be the day! I kept setting up my tripod, then running to get in the picture, so I had good cover for scoping out places.

1. Big rock in the river heading up to Vernal Falls (way to slippery)
2. Near Vernal Falls (too much spray to get a good video)
3. Our secluded lunch spot after Vernal Falls (she took a nap)
4. Flat rock after Nevada Falls footbridge with Liberty Cap in the background (couldn't fit it in frame).

Finally, I found the right time. We were on a break (on the way back down) just west of the Nevada Falls footbridge. She wanted to stay a while because she was really into squirrel watching and Liberty Cap. I didn't get Liberty Cap in the shot, and it wasn't any of the places I planned. But it was the right time, and now we have a spot that probably only the two of us think is special. It was the right call because by the next day Glacier Point Road was closed and there was zero visibility anywhere. We ended up bailing for Joshua Tree (which was also very cool).

Oh, and we celebrated with Curry Village Pizza smiling smiley

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions!

theproposal
August 18, 2017 06:17PM
Congrats. Brought tears to my eyes.
April 21, 2017 06:49PM

Good enough for a a wedding!
August 16, 2017 10:07AM
Congrats on the proposal! you will always remember that day when you see photos of that area. Every time I see Yosemite Falls, I think about our time there.
Best of luck to you guys!
August 24, 2017 11:33AM
Congrats on the proposal!

I proposed to my fiancee a little over a year ago on our backpacking trip along the Teton Crest Trail in the Grand Tetons. I did it on of all places "Death Canyon Shelf" right after we packed up and were ready to head out of our campsite on morning three. It had the most spectacular view of Death Canyon and the Tetons in the background.

We are now set to get married next April in the Redwoods!

So again, congrats.
August 24, 2017 05:27PM
LBFam
Congrats on the proposal!

I proposed to my fiancee a little over a year ago on our backpacking trip along the Teton Crest Trail in the Grand Tetons. I did it on of all places "Death Canyon Shelf" right after we packed up and were ready to head out of our campsite on morning three. It had the most spectacular view of Death Canyon and the Tetons in the background.

We are now set to get married next April in the Redwoods!

So again, congrats.

Thanks! Congrats to you as well! Sounds like a beautiful setting.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login