Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tuolumne Meadows and Lembert Dome during a summer storm, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (73% of Full)

Advanced

Nice car camping spot near Lone Pine?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Nice car camping spot near Lone Pine?
August 22, 2017 12:03AM
Hey gang,

I'm heading down 395 from Tahoe, for a wedding in Ventura next month, and Lone Pine is an approximate midpoint. Wondering if any of you guys know of any nice quiet spots to camp off of 395 anywhere near approximately Lone Pine area? Probably just for a night or two, it's just me, the dog, and my high-clearance 4WD. Ideal camping for me is dense shaded forest, water source, no traffic noise, and none to very few other humans. A fun day hike (fun for me is maybe 8-12 miles round trip 3000ft cumulative elevation gain max) with lake/peak destination would be nice but certainly not required. I would be passing through Wednesday / Thursday if it makes a difference.

I usually seek out national forest (because I have a dog), then find a campground, then look for sketchy jeep roads near the campground that, with a little exploration, end up at sweet undesignated camping areas -- these tend to be the best camping!
avatar Re: Nice car camping spot near Lone Pine?
August 22, 2017 08:30AM
Check out Onion Valley. You could hike up to Kearsarge Pass if so inclined!
Re: Nice car camping spot near Lone Pine?
August 24, 2017 05:01PM
Great suggestions guys! I will do extensive internet research and hopefully have a trip report by this time next month. smiling smiley
Re: Nice car camping spot near Lone Pine?
August 24, 2017 11:36AM
It's not the "dense shaded forest" you've asked for, but I can't recommend dispersed camping in the Alabama Hills enough. It is our favorite car camping spot along the 395 when heading up to the Eastern Sierra.
Waking up to views of the rocks with the Sierra peaks in the distance is like none other. And it's free.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login