Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (90% of Full)

Advanced

Trip Report: Alger Lakes 8/24 - 8/26

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Trip Report: Alger Lakes 8/24 - 8/26
September 03, 2018 03:48PM
I headed out for the long drive Thursday after work to make it over Mono Lake by midnight. Slept in the car and picked up my permit at the visitors center at 8am Friday. I made it on the trail at the Rush Creek trailhead by 9am.

The hike out was long and uphill. The map said 7 miles and 3K ft elevation gain, but my lungs were saying otherwise. Going straight up to 10K feel from sea level in less than 24 hours ended up being a task. Here’s the view from Gem Pass

Once at Alger Lakes I set up camp on, what I would later find out, was the wrong side of the rock/brush. The wind ended up howling all night right into my tent.

I brought my new Tenkara fly rod to the lakes in hopes of getting some fish. Anlgers across the lake were using a reel and, from their yells, sounded like they were making out well. All in all over the weekend I had about 10 bites, and 2 catches (& release). I need to work on sinking the hook and bringing the trout in.

Parker Pass & Koip peak
The hike up to Parker Pass was straight forward. I wasn’t sure if I was going to do one of the peaks or not. I figured I would wait until I got up to the top to make a decision.

Looking up towards Koip peak (the taller between itself and Parker Peak), I decided I had the energy for the quick jaunt up.

At the top I enjoyed the views of Banner, Yosemite high country, and Mono Lake. I couldn’t find the summit register, oh well.

The hike back was straight forward with only a couple day hikers passing by. The aspens were looking beautiful as always. I was lucky to catch a glimpse of my first yellow one.

On the way back, Banner looked great

I wanted to check out June Lake area so I indulge with a burger over at Tiger Bar. The small town was nice, but I’ll stick with Lake Tahoe.

Time/Miles
Rush Creek TH > Alger Lakes: ~7miles, 6hrs
Alger > Koip Peak TH: ~2.5miles, 3hrs
Alger > Rush Creek TH: ~7miles, 3.5hrs
avatar Re: Trip Report: Alger Lakes 8/24 - 8/26
September 04, 2018 08:30AM
Beautiful looking area, it looks like a good time. I'd like to get up there some day. Thanks for the report
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login