Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Full

JanSport

Advanced

50ish Miles of Crazy

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

August 26, 2018 02:22PM
One of my hiking partners (the crazy guy) turned 50 recently and he wanted to do something special to celebrate - a 50 mile trek in the Yosemite high country. We parked near Lembert Dome and went up Lyell Canyon. This is the first time we've been up Lyell Canyon since they rerouted the trail and we like what they did. I always wondered why the trail was through the meadow instead of on the nearby granite, and now it is on the granite! We headed up to near Potter's Point and then turned uphill towards Ireland and Evelyn Lakes. We were confused by the "Ireland Lake 3.0 mi" sign at the Ireland Lake trail junction, and even more confused when we saw a lake come into view at around 1.5 miles from the junction. Guess that was round trip distance?

This pic makes me look fuzzier than normal.

The view back along the Ireland Lake trail is pretty nice too.

As we crested the ridge heading to Evelyn Lake, I felt the need to tell the Crazy Guy that he was over the hill. Rolling on floor laugh

We really like Evelyn Lake and the area around it.

Just as we were wondering if we were too late for any wildflowers we came across a bunch.

We went past Vogelsang HSC and headed down the trail that follows Fletcher Creek. It seems that as one awesome view disappears another appears.

And soon Merced Lake comes into view. As does a seemingly endless parade of uphill hikers. But soon enough we are at an empty Merced HSC hiker camp.

I spotted an improperly secured bear box and decided I could use a little something. I had the box cleared out before the Crazy Guy knew what happened. I get hungry travelling in the wilderness.

We continued down the Merced to Echo Valley, then up to the high trail that traverses above Lost Valley to the JMT. The trail seems little used as it is getting overgrown with thorns and one might want either thick fur or long pants. Neither of which Crazy Guy had. Good thing the awesome views along this trail kept him from thinking to much about the thorns. Also, while it was past peak flower season, there were still quite a few to enjoy, unfortunately the breeze and Crazy Guy's camera skills conspired to prevent any usable pictures of the flowers.

Then we headed up the JMT to Sunrise, Cathedral Pass, and Tuolumne Meadows. We knew that the area around Upper Cathedral Lake had been closed for restoration, but had completely forgotten about it when we planned water stops. Oh well. We got a bit thirsty, but the spring further downhill was flowing well and cold.

Finally, we wandered around Tuolumne Meadows stopping by Parson's Lodge and Soda Springs then back to the car, and down the hill for dinner at Whoa Nellie Deli.

Do what you love.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2018 04:30PM by Ursa Minor.
Re: 50ish Miles of Crazy
August 26, 2018 03:40PM
Those pictures of Merced Lake, Echo Valley, etc. bring back great memories
from a hike in that part of the Park last year. Another gorgeous part of Yosemite.
August 26, 2018 08:01PM
Nice! you don't mention dates---but I also don't see any smoke in these photos. Must have been earlier this summer?

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
August 27, 2018 02:51PM
Late last week. We got lucky, as we went up the JMT we could see the valleys behind us filling up with smoke.

Do what you love.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2018 02:57PM by Ursa Minor.
August 27, 2018 03:32PM
Ursa Minor
Late last week. We got lucky, as we went up the JMT we could see the valleys behind us filling up with smoke.

Ah yes. That's exactly when we were in Yosemite, and the skies cleared up very nicely.

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login