Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (62% of Full)

Advanced

current Return Creek flow?

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

avatar current Return Creek flow?
August 06, 2019 06:54PM
Does anyone have info on the current state of Return Creek, either at PCT or GCT or anywhere in between? I'm thinking to ford it above the Matterhorn confluence. (And then Matterhorn.)

It's apparently calf-deep near Summit Lake, but that's pretty far up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2019 06:55PM by Sierra Miguel.
Re: current Return Creek flow?
August 20, 2019 03:00PM
I crossed Return Creek this past week (August 15 and 17) on a trip that included Summit Lake and the McCabe Lakes, meaning I crossed it both below Summit Lake and then again, just past the three-way junction with the PCT in southern end of Virginia Canyon. I'm not a great or bold creek crosser and for me it was easy. Mostly shallow (ankle deep or less) with one area of knee high and relatively slow flowing water.

I should add that at the PCT section I chose to cross about a quarter mile upstream of the formal PCT trail crossing and then use a use trail to get back to the trail - but even the formal crossing looked pretty safe. Most folks were crossing there.
avatar Re: current Return Creek flow?
August 21, 2019 09:57PM
Thanks. I didn't get down to the confluence this week. I'll need to try another route or plan.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login