Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (90% of Full)

Advanced

Sierra Point May 4th 2019 - Failed attempt

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Sierra Point May 4th 2019 - Failed attempt
May 17, 2019 06:17PM
sad smiley Just looked at my GPX tracks and it's obvious that I should have cut right a bit (approx 150') after the first rock pile. Was there on May 4th and didn't look at my GPS tracks when I was there. Also, I thought that I had a GPS track of Sierra Point on my gaia but it didn't sync up.
https://www.strava.com/activities/2345542416

Ran into quite a few people there. Five steps in after the rock pile sign, ran into a couple who were coming back from the Sierra Point and the guy did it in flip flops. He did show his SP pics and the lady in trail runners didn't go all the way up. 3 mins in, saw another guy coming behind me. This guy had never done off-trail hiking and while he seemed prepared, he definitely shouldn't have been there solo. He stayed along for the rest of 2.5 hrs, was extremely slow and was sketched out on exposed sections as well as when going downhill, even on non-loose sections. To his credit, he had an offline copy of the trail info on his phone - one from this site and one from pbase - though we never referred to it.

On the way down, ran into a couple. That guy from Mariposa had been to SP twice, last time was 15 years back, and his wife had never been there. Two other guys joined and one of them had done SP last year. Now we were three groups of two each and tried to find the trail again but couldn't make it. Turned back ultimately and will have to try it some other time, probably after summer. The Mariposa guy mentioned about the sunnyside and his wife mentioned that their son and his gf were doing sunnyside that day. They also recommended looking up for fern*.
Re: Sierra Point May 4th 2019 - Failed attempt
November 07, 2019 08:28PM
Second time was a charm and smooth sailing on 11/2. Took under 90 mins round trip with only one waterfall -Bridalveil - in play.
A bobcat was guarding the entrance to heaven, aka the rockpile.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2019 08:29PM by nwhkr.
Re: Sierra Point May 4th 2019 - Failed attempt
January 12, 2020 08:47PM
I hope to complete it this year, failed last year, simply ran out of time. Went up to the left of the rock slide area, someone had some trail markers there and came out on the sketchy exposed area, where I ran into a couple of young ladies that started later than me and my friend. Anyway I didn't realize I was that close to the point, so after scrambling up the exposed area, scrambled back down instead of finishing ): Went back the correct way
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login