Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

Advanced

Non-reservable campgrounds in Yosemite

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Non-reservable campgrounds in Yosemite
March 10, 2020 08:03PM
I have a permit for Parker Pass this August. Considering the elevation, I want two nights to acclimate, which means that I need a proper campsite and can't rely on the backpackers' camps. I've been to White Wolf and Tuolumne Meadows, which allow reservations, but I want to know the other options. I'm looking at Tamarack Flat, Yosemite Creek, and Porcupine Flat, as well as the cluster of small national forest campgrounds east of Tioga Pass. Considering that these campgrounds have no drinking water, and some are a few miles off the road, I would hope that they would be less busy. I would be arriving on a Sunday. Does anyone have any idea how early I should arrive to get a spot?
avatar Re: Non-reservable campgrounds in Yosemite
March 10, 2020 08:10PM
Sunday morning is a great time to arrive. Lots of people will be leaving and you should be able to grab a site.
Re: Non-reservable campgrounds in Yosemite
March 28, 2020 12:36PM
I've had good luck with Yosemite Creek
avatar Re: Non-reservable campgrounds in Yosemite
March 28, 2020 05:03PM
lschaaf
I've had good luck with Yosemite Creek

As have I. But prefer Porcupine Creek because of the red fir.
Re: Non-reservable campgrounds in Yosemite
March 28, 2020 09:46PM
I agree with Eeek. Porcupine Flat is our preferred spot. Lots of places if you drive deep into the campground. Just take a few jugs of water, although if you are backpacking, you can certainly filter water out of Porcupine Creek there.

And if you want a good hike to get acclimated, North Dome and/or May Lake & Mt Hoffman are both right there!

Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2020 09:46PM by balzaccom.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login