Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Tenaya Lake, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Wheeler Ridge in 3D

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

October 22, 2013 07:17AM
OK. Kewl.

Did a nice little stroll from Sonora Pass to Yosemite Boundary last week.
Topo! said it was 11K gain. It felt like it.

Here's the ridge from 8921 looking to Wheeler Peak... with Huckleberry on the right.
The pond below is outside the park. First time went there wit Z Old Dood we
saw an Otter. Pretty kewl.

I'll post more later

Chick-on is looking at you!
October 22, 2013 07:33AM
Super dooper tanx to Z Perret-bop for meeting me Sat. at Emigrant Pass
where we headed back to Yose Border for more enjoyable views:

October 28, 2013 09:05AM
chick-on
Super dooper tanx to Z Perret-bop for meeting me Sat. at Emigrant Pass
where we headed back to Yose Border for more enjoyable views:

Ok... took me way too long to figure this one out... Dorothy Lake?

How long were you out there? Came in via Brown Bear Pass or Leavitt Meadows? As usual... cool idea to head into upper Kendrick. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2013 09:08AM by AndrewF.
October 28, 2013 11:55AM
AndrewF
Ok... took me way too long to figure this one out... Dorothy Lake?

How long were you out there? Came in via Brown Bear Pass or Leavitt Meadows? As usual... cool idea to head into upper Kendrick. thumbs up

Yeah. Dorothy... you should be able to make out Hawksbeak, Tower, Forsyth, and Saurian... to name a few...

4 days. about 60 miles and 11K gain of fun... You didn't read the first line... I started at Sonora Pass... ended up ending at
Leavitt Lake with much thanks to Basilbop. Goal was actually to find a bunch of boundary markers... so pretty much walked the
boundary from Twin Lakes to just beyond Wheeler.... but on the 2nd day as was walking along the ridge heading to
Wheeler Kendrick was calling... so I dropped down after Wheeler and ended up camping at Fawn on the 2nd night.
There is soooooo many great canyons and whatnot out there... You can't realllly go wrong, now can you?

Have fun

October 28, 2013 12:51PM
Nice. I get tunnel vision when planning trips sometimes, trying to get from point A to point B in the most efficient way possible to see whatever piqued my interest at point A to begin with. And I end up missing opportunities like that. I scour your TRs for fresh ideas like that... much appreciated.
October 22, 2013 04:29PM
Another great 3D photo! Thanks for posting it.

I need to get off my butt and try creating my own 3D photos.

Any advice on how far apart each photo should be. I know it varies depending on the distance to the main subject.

As an example, how far apart were the two photos taken for the anaglyph that you posted above?

October 23, 2013 07:06AM
For 3D it depends on how far the subject is away. Usually for first photo... about 15 steps...

For this tree... inches..

That's Richardson Peak in the background.

The problem I always have on these trips... is that most of the trip has just incredible views...
and I take a LOT of photos... and there was a reason behind them... over 900 this trip
of nearly 60 miles in 4 days... and then I get home and look at them... and I like them...
but I don't feel the same as I felt when I was looking at it with my own eyeballs....

So... you Z reader... get a couple pix...

Something like an erratic which is as large as a room... that was cracked in half due to
a vein of quartz in the middle doesn't always translate... and therefore, you get this photo
instead:
<i.e. no photo>

Anywho... if you go... post your trip... a photo or two will do...

Half Dome fun out there...

October 23, 2013 09:42AM
chick-on
For 3D it depends on how far the subject is away. Usually for first photo... about 15 steps...

For this tree... inches..

Thanks for the info.

chick-on

The problem I always have on these trips... is that most of the trip has just incredible views...
and I take a LOT of photos... and there was a reason behind them... over 900 this trip
of nearly 60 miles in 4 days... and then I get home and look at them... and I like them...
but I don't feel the same as I felt when I was looking at it with my own eyeballs....

So... you Z reader... get a couple pix...

Something like an erratic which is as large as a room... that was cracked in half due to
a vein of quartz in the middle doesn't always translate...

For me, the photos that are the best in making me feel that I'm right back there are my 100% full 720º panoramas that I make using Microsoft's Photosynth (or Google's Photo Sphere). But they have to be 100% (or close to 100% coverage) for me to get a complete feeling that I'm back there immersed in the scene. The partial ones are very nice too, and I enjoy looking at those also for the absolutely incredible detail they can bring out, but I don't get the same feeling of being there when there's a top or side border to my Photosynths or Photo Spheres. But the ones that are a full (or very close to full) 720º panorama do the trick for me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login