Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Nevada Falls

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (90% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Washburn Lake trip

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

Washburn Lake trip
December 09, 2013 08:19PM
Took a trip out to Washburn Lake (the gorge just past Washburn actually) and then down to SEKI over Thanksgiving.

Weather was fantastic, lows in the low 30s each night. I had originally planned to head up to the Triple Peak Fork, but was out for 5 days and was unsure about a low % forecasted storm so I turned around past Washburn Lake.

The switchbacks at Bunell were pretty much ice free. The only thing that sucked is my camera batteries had severe problems and even using tactics to warm them one died outright on the first night and the other died soon after. After spending 5 days in the park I headed down to SEKI and hiked the Middle Fork of the Kaweah for a night without the camera or tripod.

I take the photo gear out there to specifically take landscape photos that I don't feel like I can get with a point and shoot, so I was a bit apprehensive about leaving them behind, but man was it pleasant to hike without them. I did also drop a bunch of other junk I didn't need. It was the also first time backpacking in SEKI too and I enjoyed the middle fork trail a lot, definitely going back.

I ran into a bear on the trail just prior to reaching Panther Creek. He bolted as I fished around in my pocket for my cell phone. Argh!

So without further ado, the only shots I got....

I'll head back out before new years somewhere hopefully.
December 10, 2013 05:04PM
Thanks. Nice report.

What chemistry of batteries do you use? The only ones that I have had good luck with when it is below freezing are the eneloop ones. They avoid the big drop in capacity and current output that most others have a low temps.
December 10, 2013 05:46PM
I didn't even know there was a different kind of chemistry available? It's a Nikon Li-ion01 (the EN-EL15). As far as I know it's the only battery I can use for the camera I have. Though I think there's a big grip that might take AA's. Hmmmm

edit: Thanks Parklover!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2013 05:46PM by steelcup.
December 10, 2013 05:33PM
Thanks for the report and pictures. I really like the one with the tent. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
December 10, 2013 07:58PM
parklover
It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

"Oh, well, any decent brand of Scotch will do that." -Montgomery Scott
December 28, 2013 08:36AM
Man, I miss having the time to take trips on a whim over holidays. Your pics just remind me of Time Before Kid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2013 08:37AM by KC.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login