Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Yosemite Valley

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (60% of Full)

nordvpn

Advanced

Re: A Pair for Billy Joel

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

December 27, 2013 05:15PM
Tanks for da Pears

Nice non snowshoe trip on Pohono to Sentinel and back to Inspiration Ridge

How many pairs dew ewe see?

Merry Xmass and A Happy New Year to you and yours

Chick-on is looking at you!
avatar Re: A Pair for Billy Joel
December 28, 2013 11:54AM
Needs more snow!
December 29, 2013 06:48AM
Very nice! Tanks for the mammaries. Will be PMing you soon about my developing plans for coming summer -- permit application time for July is fast approaching...
December 29, 2013 08:34AM
Pear was delicious. Ate it on Christmas Day.

Ridiculous the small amount of snow. Not once did regret not bringing the snow shoes.
Was maybe 50% coverage. And, as you can see, coverage on the north rim looks like about 5%.

Enjoys

December 29, 2013 09:58AM
Merry Christmas! I figured you were out there somewhere. It was my first Christmas in Yosemite, I think we'll make it a tradition.

Snow Creek was about 50% coverage once you got a few minutes back from the rim. Once heading up the hill towards Watkins it was more like 100% coverage but less than a foot and well consolidated. By the time we got to Olmstead I was post-holing thru powder even with the snowshoes on and was glad to have them. The road looks like good X-C ski conditions right now except for a few bare spots, I was sad we weren't on skis and going all the way to Tuolumne. Pics forthcoming once I get them from my bro...
December 30, 2013 08:13AM
Thought of you guys over at the cabin ... (and wondered what duh heck you gonna do for 6 days!) Wow
(saw ur permit in the box at BOF)

We only had powder in a few places. Other areas it was the crust on top... bust thru pain in the rump type.
Very slow going thru that. But so much non coverage that snow shoes would have been pain b/c would
have had to take them on and off 100 times.

It's hard to see the coverage:

You really have to look close. Thanks for the info. Hopefully it dumps big time. Soon!
Last year we couldn't get out on Xmas. It was storming up the ying yang. Didn't get out til the 27th last year.
This year... sheesh... it didn't even get to freezing during the night. Stupid me ended up taking my 4 season
tent "just because I have it". Bozo.

Anywho. Yeah. Christmas in the Park. Love it.

December 31, 2013 02:44PM
Wow, yeah, it looks dry in that shot. Top of Watkins was 100% coverage and slow going even with the shoes. Definitely no problem entertaining ourselves at the cabin. We brought bacon, pancakes, cookies, lots of good food.

What kind of sleeping bag do you bring in winter? I've got a 20 degree down quilt that I put a 20F synthetic quilt over for winter, but together they're pretty huge and bulky. Have been thinking of getting a 5F down bag for this time of year. Not that it was needed over Xmas, only got down to 28F at the cabin.
January 01, 2014 02:59PM
AndrewF
Wow, yeah, it looks dry in that shot. Top of Watkins was 100% coverage and slow going even with the shoes. Definitely no problem entertaining ourselves at the cabin. We brought bacon, pancakes, cookies, lots of good food.

What kind of sleeping bag do you bring in winter? I've got a 20 degree down quilt that I put a 20F synthetic quilt over for winter, but together they're pretty huge and bulky. Have been thinking of getting a 5F down bag for this time of year. Not that it was needed over Xmas, only got down to 28F at the cabin.

Plunked down the cash and have 2 Western Mountaineering bags.
Lynx MF -10 degree 3lbs 5oz
and
Versalite 10 degree 2lbs 2oz

The Versalite would work fine for 99% of winter time. Especially if it would ever snow.
It's a great bag for year round. But... the -10 is pure luxury. Just a great bag.
Well worth the price tag. (well... if you use it) I always buy the biggest bag they sell so
can move around more and be able to change in the bag for those really cold times.

Really like Montbell too. Have a couple of those... wife uses the 15 as a quilt in her hammock
with a Jacks R Better Old Man Rag underquilt. Pretty much she uses that same setup year round.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login