Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Deer in Yosemite

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (57% of Full)

Advanced

Re: Playing Hooky in October

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

January 08, 2014 09:17PM
My buddy Mike and I decided to try to squeeze in one more day trip late last October before the looming snowstorms closed things down for the winter (boy were we wrong on that score!). Anyway, we met up early and drove up towards Carson Pass, the first goal being Thunder Mt (east), the high point of Amador County. On the hike in we had a nice chat with a solo day hiker, who was definitely inspirational, as he was 88 years old! Up on the summit, we had great views both north towards the Tahoe basin, and south...towards our next destination, Sonora Peak, north of Yosemite:

Back in the car, we cruised over Carson Pass, down through Markleeville, and up over Monitor Pass...a great drive...and headed down towards 395

Then it was up over Sonora Pass to the Sonora Peak trailhead. Thinking that we were a bit on the late side, and with the sun setting earlier every day, we threw our headlamps into our bags and worked quickly up the trail to St. Mary's Pass and then easy cross country up to Sonora Peak. It was a perfect fall day, with south facing slopes snow free and north facing slopes showing some of the white stuff. The view looking north:

And looking south down towards Sonora Pass and, in the distance, the peaks of Yosemite:

Looking in more detail we realized that not only could we pick out many of the peaks in the Yosemite high country, but we could also make out Banner and Ritter south of the park, at the far left of the photo above and blown up here...

Well, the sun was getting closer to the horizon, and we knew it would be getting cold quickly. Just down off the summit of Sonora Peak we sat down for a moment to enjoy the last sun on the peaks of Yosemite...

Shortly afterwards, as the sun approached the horizon, we realized that we were, by chance, in exactly the right place at the right time. We sat down again and watched the sun set over Mt Diablo, 130 miles west of us

As the sun disappeared, it got cold, and we moved quickly back to the trailhead, arriving at the car at the last light, and headed home. It was a good day!
avatar Re: Playing Hooky in October
January 09, 2014 08:34AM
That's awesome! I've always meant to head up Sonora but have yet to make it. I always love seeing far away peaks and landmarks like that. Thanks for posting.
Re: Playing Hooky in October
January 09, 2014 08:16PM
Great pictures.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login