Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
A Yosemite bear

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (76% of Full)

Advanced

Re: A few pics from Yosemite January 1-3

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

A few pics from Yosemite January 1-3
January 12, 2014 08:54PM
Not so good at trip reports, but here are a few phone pics from my trip January 1-3.

Reflection in waterever little water is still flowing in the Merced. Pic taken next to Swinging bridge.

Just a trickle in Vernal Fall.

Looking at Half Dome from the Panorama trail.

Glacier Point at sunset. I had it all to myself which was nice.

First light the next morning.

The geology hut

The dead tree at Union Point. Sentinel Rock in the background, I think.

Back on the Valley floor.
avatar Re: A few pics from Yosemite January 1-3
January 13, 2014 08:56AM
Thanks...amazing what kind of pictures a camera phone can take! Yes, the lack of snow is bad, but it does provide some interesting opportunities to backpack in the middle of January. I assume that the Glacier point winter accomodations are closed as the Glacier Point Road is closed to Badger Pass?
January 13, 2014 10:04AM
The hike you speak of is one of my favorites in the Valley area. Not
brutal in difficulty, but great sights to be seen at almost every turn.
I've done it from both directions, and find the 4 mile trail is at its
best for the uphill part of the hike. The scenery gets better as
you go up, and you get Vernal Fall near the hikes end.

Hard to imagine Glacier Pt. without a crowd.
January 13, 2014 11:55AM
Yes, it was nice to be able to backpack in January. But at the same time bizarre. We need snow, and lots of it, to make up for how dry the season has been thus far.

Peeked in the windows of the Glacier Point winter ski lodge (summertime it is a coffee/snack/ice cream place.) Inside it was all set up for winter overnight visitors with bunk-beds on one side and lounge furniture on the other.
The place is all locked up though, as there is not enough snow for skiing and the road to Badger is closed.
January 14, 2014 08:21PM
Thanks for posting pictures. We were in Yosemite before New Years and was shocked at the lack of snow. It must have been really strange to be at Glacier Point with no snow and no one around.
January 16, 2014 04:14PM
I read on a Yosemite group's Facebook page that the Glacier Point Hut was going to be open Jan. 17 for hikers. Is the Four Mile Trail ice free?
January 16, 2014 06:31PM
Wow, that is truly bizarre. I re-posted the announcement and picture (not mine) of the Glacier Point Ski Lodge on the general forum.
The top of the 4 mile trail was a bit icy when I went, used my spikies, but by now it may all have melted away.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login