Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Recent Posts
Fern on the Four Mile Trail, Yosemite National Park

The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (78% of Full)

Advanced

Re: MLK weekend on the OBOFR

All posts are those of the individual authors and the owner of this site does not endorse them. Content should be considered opinion and not fact until verified independently.

January 21, 2014 06:39PM
Well, it was time for the annual MLK weekend snowshoe trip to Dewey Point, the problem being the obvious lack of snow. Instead, we decided to start at the Foresta Road trailhead (just up from the junction of 120 and the Foresta Road turnoff) and head east, camping in the Cascade Creek drainage a couple of nights and heading out to the valley floor via the OBOFR. I had been up the OBOFR as far as Rainbow View, but the rest of the hike was new territory for me. Thanks to the tremendous posts by wherever, basilbop, chickon and others for their helpful advice!

It was a good trip to take given the strange winter conditions. I wore my summer low top hiking shoes for the trip. We encountered a few spots where there was snow and ice on the trail for maybe 20 or 30 feet, not enough for me to worry about spikes, etc. (which I had left in the truck anyway). On the trip up to the Devils Dance Floor we did hit maybe a foot of old snow in the Tamarack Creek drainage where it was sheltered, and had some minor post holing, but it was nothing to worry about.

On Sunday we did a day hike from our camp over to the Devil's Dance Floor.

The view towards the Valley from the Devil's Dance Floor

An image on top:

Being as it's the 150th anniversary of the Yosemite Grant we looked for, and found, the survey monument for one of the corners of the Grant (near Gentry's). Here is the reference marker for that point:

Cascade Creek is flowing where it is not frozen over

And the Old Big Oak Flat Road is still hanging in there...

In doing some research on the OBOFR, I found this quote..."one wall below Gentry and above Fireplace Creek is especially unique. The majority of rockwork was done by Italian stonemasons, but this particular wall was apparently built by Chinese labor. It is a high wall, eight or nine feet in places, built to hold the road around bedrock. Because the wall was built partially on a large tree, it was constructed with a sharp corner in it to allow the tree some room for growth. It affords an interesting illustration of the early construction methods and the care with which the road was hung on the side of the mountain. " Perhaps this was the spot?
January 21, 2014 09:51PM
Nice, thanks for posting!
avatar Re: MLK weekend on the OBOFR
January 22, 2014 11:08AM
Sweet. I need to get up there one of these days. Thanks for posting.
January 22, 2014 11:20AM
Thanks for the pix! As you probably know, I'm a huge fan of the old roads in the Park and I always love to see pictures of them.

I recognize that particular retaining wall you show. I don't remember reading about it having been done by different workers but I may just be forgetting it. I do, however, remember thinking that it had a distinctly different style than the other walls along that stretch of road (or along any other old road sections that I've been on, for that matter). Knowing how brutal an environment it can be along that stretch of the OBOFR, it's stunning that these walls are still in such remarkably good shape! Chinese, Italian or any other nationality, those guys knew what they were doing!
January 22, 2014 11:48AM
DavidK42
Thanks for the pix! As you probably know, I'm a huge fan of the old roads in the Park and I always love to see pictures of them.

I recognize that particular retaining wall you show. I don't remember reading about it having been done by different workers but I may just be forgetting it. I do, however, remember thinking that it had a distinctly different style than the other walls along that stretch of road (or along any other old road sections that I've been on, for that matter). Knowing how brutal an environment it can be along that stretch of the OBOFR, it's stunning that these walls are still in such remarkably good shape! Chinese, Italian or any other nationality, those guys knew what they were doing!

The info came from here OBOFR National Register PDF....lots of interesting info!
January 22, 2014 01:08PM
Bearproof
The info came from here OBOFR National Register PDF....lots of interesting info!

Thanks for the link...I'd not seen that document before and found it a very interesting read.
January 23, 2014 07:46AM
FYI, for anyone who missed them the first time around, there have been some very interesting (at least to me!) long threads about the various old roads on this board over the last few years. Also, check out this message for links to some pretty detailed histories of each of the 4 major 19th century roads (Tioga, BOF, Coulterville & Wawona).
January 23, 2014 06:16PM
Thank you. I would like to do some of those roads sometime. Even if I don't, I find that it is interesting to learn about the old roads.
January 22, 2014 10:12PM
Great post and photos. Thanks.
February 05, 2014 07:02PM
Thanks for confirming that I do in fact meet forum folks on the trail sometimes. I was on the Dance Floor that day with friends.
February 06, 2014 11:59AM
Was that your group that I took the picture of? Wish I had known. Maybe all forum users should have a secret handshake or some other way to identify themselves readily.

Pink chicken hats, perhaps?
February 06, 2014 09:54PM
Perhaps the vacuous stare or the drooling.

Old Dude
February 07, 2014 03:28PM
Bearproof
Pink chicken hats, perhaps?

Couldn't find any. Maybe this will work: http://www.ske-art.com/skestuff9/B00A2CN9NQ
February 07, 2014 03:53PM
Hmmm I think I prefer Old Dude's "vacuous stare and/or drooling"
February 07, 2014 04:50PM
Bearproof
Hmmm I think I prefer Old Dude's "vacuous stare and/or drooling"

You wouldn't if he was above you.
February 07, 2014 05:28PM
February 07, 2014 07:16PM
eeek
Maybe this? http://www.ske-art.com/skestuff9/B0047XHITM

or this one: http://www.ske-art.com/skestuff9/B00449B6BK

(Higher rated plus free shipping!)

February 08, 2014 02:19PM
February 08, 2014 03:22PM
Except that our chick-on might feel a bit insulted in being compared to a turkey. wink

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2014 06:39PM by plawrence.
February 09, 2014 08:06AM
Def. should go with the turkey hat. It's fitting for you turkeys. tongue sticking out smiley

Chick-on is looking at you!
February 07, 2014 07:06PM
Bearproof

Maybe all forum users should have a secret handshake or some other way to identify themselves readily.

Offering a fellow hiker a Twinkie usually does the trick.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login